A Very Clean Farm

Help Support CattleToday:

Brahma Bull

Reaction score
A few years ago I started cleaning up my farm.In the pasture and woods,around the cow pen,behind the house.Keep all my trailers,fence post,equipment and junk pile off to the side.Walk the farm picking up every little bit of junk,almost anything or everything.My mom would always tell me every inch of ground that piece of wood takes up,is less grass you have.Now days riding through the country side,looking at other peoples farms and ranches.I see so much stuff scattered around,lot of junk.
It's a hard and tiring job,some may not have the time or motivation to do it,have a very neat and clean farm.Anyone else do this besides me?When I try to tell my wife about the way someone's place looks,she says don't do that.

Good job! I agree 100%. We do the same here. A clean place is a safe place, for livestock, people, vehicles.

Take a look at our pictures on our website. Link is on our signature line. The previous owner of our place was a "junker". It took us several months to pick up and haul off off of the bigger trash and stuff. We're still occasionally picking up nails, pieces of wire, broken glass, and other things that have worked their way to the surface of the soil.

A nice place is also good advertising for one's quality of operation.

Brahma Bull":1ss9gl4g said:
A few years ago I started cleaning up my farm.In the pasture and woods,around the cow pen,behind the house.Keep all my trailers,fence post,equipment and junk pile off to the side.Walk the farm picking up every little bit of junk,almost anything or everything.My mom would always tell me every inch of ground that piece of wood takes up,is less grass you have.Now days riding through the country side,looking at other peoples farms and ranches.I see so much stuff scattered around,lot of junk.
It's a hard and tiring job,some may not have the time or motivation to do it,have a very neat and clean farm.Anyone else do this besides me?When I try to tell my wife about the way someone's place looks,she says don't do that.

We tend to pile stuff in one place and that place is not near the house. Our trailers are all parked down the fenceline near the barns. We have a junk pile near the barn that all the junk metal goes into. We haul that off every few years. I doubt we'll ever clean up all the wire in the pastures. We've been picking it up for 20 years now. :roll:

We really try to keep things and neat around the place. Seems like every time I we break down and get rid of something, we need it later. Like bricks and tin. Never get rid of tin! And baling wire.

The lady we bought our place from was a pack rat. There was a path through the barn because there was so much stuff around. The outside wasn't bad, but we have gotten rid of SO much trash! We are always picking up nails, car parts, and trash. She used to burn her trash out in a corner of the pasture. The first two summers we lived here I went out with the tractor and got two loader fulls each time. If I haven't used it in a year or have a plan to use something in a reasonable time, it's gone. I don't like the junky cluttered look of other people's places and won't have it at ours.

The farm at home is a clean place, and it's kept clean by us making an effort to pick up garbage either in the pasture, corrals or ditches to the lawn. Still find nails and old balls of baler string around in the corral...I've found that we've almost eliminated the occurance of footrot (via nail in hoof) or hardware disease by picking up that stuff every time I chance upon it. Haven't had a case of that in more'n 10 years. :shock:

BTW, I've been meaning to tell you...we've been nominated for the Rural Beautification Award for our town county. We're humble folk and always feel that the yard still needs to be fixed up some more and all one way of the other, so that nomination was quite the shock. (Two farms are nominated for every county division, btw.)

Been tryin' for years to get things picked up but I'll swear the faster I pick stuff up the more old wire and junk I find.

My place is down toward Ezzell. Where are you?

Deer Oaks Ranch on County Road 14,about 6 miles east of Ezzell.
It is a never ending job,same as work on the farm.It sure looks nice to pick up every single steel post and cedar post,all that rust barbwire,every brick,coke can,piece of lumber.Then use the lawn mower around the cow pen.Now my wife has me making the woods look like a park.Cutting brush and burning all the dead trees and wood.This use to be the Sartwelle Ranch until they subdivided it in 1985,so 1860-1985.

Wish I could get Hubby motivated to clean or at the very least not add to the trash- I try but he can make it faster than I can clean it.
He claims when time/money is short cleaning makes neither. :(
I told him that he better not die before me and leave me to clean up the place. Hes gonna end up paying with time or money sooner or latter.

I like our place to look good, plus I'd hate to loose a $1,200 cow or a $3,000 horse to a rusty 5 cent nail stepped on or ingested.

Howdyjabo, what is worth more his time or money. Then which ever he chooses use the other to pick up the place. That should bring him around. :D

After both in laws passed, my husband took the D-4 Cat and dug an 8 foot deep pit and started piling things into it added some gas and struck a match. Took around three days to burn all the junk they had kept around here. Now if I could just get him to throw in that pile of cedar fence posts I would be happy.
Hauled all of the old equipment (augers, drills etc.) out to the pasture. Cows have new rubbing posts.

chrisy":2b9l6xir said:
Brahma...some pic's please so we can see all your hard work...bet they will look wonderful.....good job well done. ;-)
Ok when I get home on leave/vacation. Farm Safety is a big reason why to clean up.Round bale strings and wire may end up in the cows belly or under the shredder when your mowing.Old motor oil will sure kill a cow.Fire hazard,flat tires,home for snakes, scorpions and black widows.So many reasons,hard enough trying to keep the cows healthy and safe.
Filled up a 20' goosneck trailer so many times,still got more to do.

My grandma was a pack rat and now my father is a pack rat. That is a nice term for hoarder. I find it disgusting. Everyplace we have managed to live in his crap always ends up their.

We had a barn with a shop here but it is so full of lumber, and other stuff that is useless to us at this time that I have to keep a lot of my calving supplies in the house.
My mother has given up trying to keep things uncluttered and I hate even going to their place anymore. They live in a very nice area in the city and their house is gorgeous but it gets exacerbating when you always have to move something to get to something else :mad: .

It has made me extremely claustrophobic as a result :( .

You know what they say don't throw something out that you may need one day :roll: .

Usually if I have not used something in a period of 5 years (clothes, boots, tools, machine ...) I get rids of it. For me it's the only way to get the farm clean.

gendronf my husband hides his old duct taped boots so I can't throw them away. I always find his stash of chew, but can never find them boots. :roll:

Oh don't get me started on old wore out boots and free caps- My husband thinks its wasteful not to keep them
ALL. Never know when you might get so broke you have to wear 30 pairs of wore out boots(not to mention how stiff they get)
Or need one hundred hats................

now i used to have over 100 caps.but i culled alot of them a few years ago.really dont know how meny caps i have now.

I feel a lot of hoarders of gone through a real tough time at some point in their life such as the Great Depression, WWII, or a personal crisis. Now they believe that by hoarding they are preparing for the next crisis and they will have the things they may need to survive it. My mom is a pack rat, not extreme, but a pack rat none the less. I think that is why I detest clutter. I'm not a minimalist, but I like things neat and clean. Any day of the week you walk into our house and the place is spotlestt, except for my son's basket of toys, but hey he just turned 1 so he doesn't know better.

Never thought about it this way before-- but maybe hes hoarding his other trash too..............