A really odd question

Help Support CattleToday:

meegs78

Reaction score
You're going to have to forgive my ignorance, and I'm sure this is a really odd question, but I've got two cows. I'm in Thailand & I have no idea what breed they are. Here's link to an image, if that helps any http://www.flickr.com/photos/-meegs-/59684066/

It's a long story as to how we ended up with the cows (I volunteer at an elephant sanctuary), but we haven't any idea how to properly look after them. At the moment, they're being fed various grasses - primarily elephant grass, water and that's about it. If anyone could let me know how to properly look after them - what they require in their diet, etc (keeping in mind that I'm in Thailand & may not have access to well, a lot of things) I would be forever grateful! You can reply here, or write to me at [email protected]

Thanks!

Ok, so now I know they're Kao Lamphun cattle - or at least one is. The other's brown & looks nothing like her "sister". Either way... Is there anything other than grasses that I should be feeding them? Do they need salt or any other minerals? We're not trying to do anything with them - I think they're mostly just pets.... :)

I'm just guessing, but there's another type of wild cattle in Thailand and they other coould be that or a cross with some of the other breeds that were imported into the country. If the other ends up with wide sweeping basicly flat horns it may be a species of water buffalo similar to the carabao of the philippines.
Other grazzes and other roughage types of forage, maybe a source of salt from a native supply of the type that is used by other wild animals.
Like I said, just guessing
Here's another link that may have a way of linking to a Thai university that deals with livestock

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/fafontwin/animal.html

dun

Thanks Dun. Good idea about contacting a Thai university. Here's a picture of the other girl.
DSCF1167.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Doesn;t look like a water buffalo type. Looks pretty much like a generic zebu type of calf/cow to me.

dun

Hmmm, so they're likely not sister, as were were told, eh? The white one fell off the back of a truck on the way to the slaughter house, so the owner of the elephant park decided to rescue it. The original owner of the cows sold us the brown one, saying they were sisters, although that was before we actually saw her.... :roll:

meegs78":346wa38z said:
Hmmm, so they're likely not sister, as were were told, eh? The white one fell off the back of a truck on the way to the slaughter house, so the owner of the elephant park decided to rescue it. The original owner of the cows sold us the brown one, saying they were sisters, although that was before we actually saw her.... :roll:

Could be sisters. Same sire different dam or same dam differetn sire. They're both pretty much the same type of animal.

dun

Thats quite an array of pictures you have of the elephants Megan!
good luck with the cows

bif

don't look like there's a shortage of grass there either, I'd think with that much green stuff to eat they should do well, worm em and give em some minerals if you can find them.

If you can get information from the university for your area, pay particular attention to mineral needs and parasite control. Have no idea what is available there, but free choice salt is a start for cattle.
Are many cattle found in your area?

Tell us more about yourself. Do you live permanently in Thailand?

Ryder,
No, from what I've seen, there are mostly buffalo around here.

No, I'm not permanently living in Thailand - I"m actually in Canada at the moment, although heading back there in a couple weeks. Went over for two months this past fall with the intentions of travelling around SE Asia. Stumbled across this elephant sanctuary in my first week & ended up staying there the whole 2 months. Came back to Canada & realized I really wanted to be back at the park, so I'm heading back to the elephants for another 3 months (about all my fiance would put up with! ;-) )

The Elephant Nature Park is an amazing place - Lek, the owner is incredible. Elephants have a rough go of it in Thailand, and she's determined to make a difference, one elephant at a time.

If I'm in Canada at the moment, is there anything (reasonably sized) that you'd suggest I bring with me? I'll have room for one other piece of luggage...

Thanks again for all your help/suggestions! :)

http://www.elephantnaturepark.org
http://www.flickr.com/photos/-meegs-

Are those Elephants chained? You might want to put together a med kit to take back. Don't really know what kind of meds you can get in Thailand. Make sure to check out what you can bring into Thailand, don't want to get in trouble over something simple.

The elephants are chained up at night for safety reasons, but roam free throughout the day.

A med kit's a good idea.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":3ri3c0tm said:
Also if i am not mistaken cattle drink about 30 gallons of water per day. That brown one looks like it might be to far gone to save its awfully skinny and you can see its ribs. Doesnt really look to me like it was taken very good care of previously.

Uh, that could be a problem... when I was there, they weren't drinking much more then 10 gallons a day between the two of them. Do different breeds require different amounts? I read that zebu cattle actually store water in their humps, like camels. So maybe they require less? Then again, neither has much of a hump.... :?

I'm not entirely certain what the slaughter house would have used them for - the brown one was the healthier/fatter of the two, if that's saying anything....

Brahman does not store water like a camel. They handle heat better than most breeds. They sweat. They still need water.
Adequate water supply is very important for all cattle.

Go to index on left side of homepage of this site and you will find a listing for 'breeds'. You may find some interesting information there.

meegs78":239ebme3 said:
is there anything (reasonably sized) that you'd suggest I bring with me?

I dunno but I think it would be a good idea to pack a gol durn big elephant gun!

:lol: bif

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1ifg5erg said:
Im not sure about brahmans (Zebus). I do know they store some water in their humps. I can tell you though that most beef cattle drink between 15-30 gallons of water per day. If they are pregnant they may drink more.

This has to get the award for dumbest post I have read on this board they ain't Camels.
[/b]Cow Flop

There are two types of cattle, Bos tarus (no hump) and Bos indicus (with hump) no they are not related to a camel. The hump is red meat much like brisket.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":tezolcgw said:
I was trying to add that they require lots of water. This isnt the dumbest post on the board. Heck every post you make has bs written all over it. Your post remind me of an uneducated redneck. I bet you are just as ugly as dan blocker was to. Keep your opinions to yourself and play nice or dont play at all. Good day.
The Posse is fixin to ride.

Latest posts