A picture is worth a thousand words

Help Support CattleToday:

MudHog":3ko8a5le said:
A previous post mentioned an external HDD for backup. I would highly recommend going with what is called a Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks, or RAID, setup. You can easily setup the system to where one HDD is an exact mirror of the other HDD which is called RAID 1. Remember that HDD are NOT forever. They fail way to often. I had a Western Digital MyBook that had all our pictures (wife and I do photography too), and the MyBook failed in less than a year. Luckily I was able to pull the HDD and install into a desktop computer and finally was able to recover most of the files after many attempts. External HDD enclosures are cheap and you can install the HDD in there if you work on a laptop. If you have a desktop with some extra bays, you can install the HDD and have the RAID setup internal to the desktop.
This is good to know... The computer was under warranty and we sent it back. It had a defective hard drive and actually was recalled. I still have the computer and can still use it, but it gets so darn hot i hate using it. Its an old HP laptop but was geared for editing photographs... I keep it on my elliptical so when i work out i use it there.

cowgirl8":32jv05a3 said:
This is good to know... The computer was under warranty and we sent it back. It had a defective hard drive and actually was recalled. I still have the computer and can still use it, but it gets so darn hot i hate using it. Its an old HP laptop but was geared for editing photographs... I keep it on my elliptical so when i work out i use it there.

Check to make sure the fan is running or that the air ducts are clean and dust free. Can use an air compressor with the pressure set low or grab a can of air from Office Depot, Wal-Mart, etc to blow it out. Try to blow first from the fan out and not heat sink in as if there is dust, it will get trapped at the fan and could clog it worse. Fan out first will get the bulk and then you can blow heat sink in to break up any dust. The go fan out again to clean it. Pulling the back side of a laptop is very easy if you wanted to remove the back cover and get full access to the heat sink and fan for cleaning. If you can give me the model I can find a manual for you that would show you step by step how to pull the back cover off.

Photo editing while riding an elliptical, now THAT'S multitasking. :tiphat:

There are recovery services that for a fee can pull files off dead and damaged hard drives. They can pull back files which were erased and for the right amount of money can to a point, pull back files that were physically overwritten on the disk. It use to be a pricey service but have no idea what it costs today.

The flip side of this, unless you're the federal government that is, your data persists even when you want it to go away!

cowgirl8":qkpx2gtl said:
MudHog":qkpx2gtl said:
A previous post mentioned an external HDD for backup. I would highly recommend going with what is called a Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks, or RAID, setup. You can easily setup the system to where one HDD is an exact mirror of the other HDD which is called RAID 1. Remember that HDD are NOT forever. They fail way to often. I had a Western Digital MyBook that had all our pictures (wife and I do photography too), and the MyBook failed in less than a year. Luckily I was able to pull the HDD and install into a desktop computer and finally was able to recover most of the files after many attempts. External HDD enclosures are cheap and you can install the HDD in there if you work on a laptop. If you have a desktop with some extra bays, you can install the HDD and have the RAID setup internal to the desktop.

If you want to get serious about photo editing buy a desk top with a Intel i5 or i7 3.0 GHz or higher, and a SSD, HDD for it's drive. Solid State Drives are a lot tougher, less likely to be damaged from heat or dropping, and faster than Hard Drives, but they cost more and can't hold as much. But all you have to do is put your most valuable photos on the SSD, and your bulk photos on the Hard Drive.

I Think your photos are great! I have a 4 month old baby girl. My sister is a pro photographer and took a bunch of her for me. I like both your photos and I'm sure they mean a lot to the parents.

Duramaxgirl":m6s1sxqf said:
I Think your photos are great! I have a 4 month old baby girl. My sister is a pro photographer and took a bunch of her for me. I like both your photos and I'm sure they mean a lot to the parents.
Thank you :D

Never, never, never critique a picture of someone's baby.

My Uncle Bill was the central character in my life. He was an older brother of Mom's. Tall, straight as an arrow in his stature. Handsome man. Black hair all the way to his death at 78. Looked like he was 59. One of his notorious statements at a family gathering: The women folk were all making over a new baby in the family. His wife interrupted him while he was telling one of his big lies. He was leaning back in a chair. It stopped his story. His wife was saying isn't this such a beautiful baby. He looked at her at a side glance and said, "No, I have never seen a purtty baby in my life. They're all ugly until they get a few months on them. Not near as purtty as a pup." Everyone was shocked. He went back to his story. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

inyati13":305trc8x said:

My Uncle Bill was the central character in my life. He was an older brother of Mom's. Tall, straight as an arrow in his stature. Handsome man. Black hair all the way to his death at 78. Looked like he was 59. One of his notorious statements at a family gathering: The women folk were all making over a new baby in the family. His wife interrupted him while he was telling one of his big lies. He was leaning back in a chair. It stopped his story. His wife was saying isn't this such a beautiful baby. He looked at her at a side glance and said, "No, I have never seen a purtty baby in my life. They're all ugly until they get a few months on them. Not near as purtty as a pup." Everyone was shocked. He went back to his story. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:clap: :lol2: Brutal honesty. I love it

And of course, this thread just went off course and the mention of ugly baby isnt referring to my grandkids??? :devil2: :lol2: :devil2: :lol2: :lol2:
And, this brings us back to a Seinfeld episode..."The Hamptons" where the group go to see THA BABYYYYY.... Its apparently a ugly baby, they never show it but show the reactions when the crew look at it. Then, while Elaine flirts with a pediatrician he calls the baby Breathtaking.....after he's already told Elaine she's breathtaking...lol...Its one of my fav, its got the shrinkage issue discussed in it. very funny..

inyati13":1cvdv2b8 said:

I happen to agree with him. Most newborns look like bug eyed naked mole rats without the teeth. Much rather look at a pup or a calf. :lol:

sim.-ang.king":aseflovv said:
inyati13":aseflovv said:

I happen to agree with him. Most newborns look like bug eyed naked mole rats without the teeth. Much rather look at a pup or a calf. :lol:

I second that

sim.-ang.king":3vziq2q8 said:
inyati13":3vziq2q8 said:

Exactly! Even with my own, although I watched them all born. I blamed my view of my children's looks at birth on the visual. It's difficult to see them as purty when you watch them come out of the manufacturing facility located so close to the dump station.

Ouachita":yewv9y9s said:
Exactly! Even with my own, although I watched them all born. I blamed my view of my children's looks at birth on the visual. It's difficult to see them as purty when you watch them come out of the manufacturing facility located so close to the dump station.

I don't know about ya'll but I think this should be outlawed. The man has no business in the delivery room. I watched all mine be born too but I would have rather been shown them after they were cleaned up and wrapped in a blanket. In fact, I think I would rather have my arse beat than witness this. And being handed the scissors to cut the cord!!!! What sicko thought up this sick scheme to mess with a man's head? Its wrong I tell you. Just wrong.

Jogeephus":1xxhk6jf said:
Ouachita":1xxhk6jf said:

I don't know about ya'll but I think this should be outlawed. The man has no business in the delivery room. I watched all mine be born too but I would have rather been shown them after they were cleaned up and wrapped in a blanket. In fact, I think I would rather have my arse beat than witness this. And being handed the scissors to cut the cord!!!! What sicko thought up this sick scheme to mess with a man's head? Its wrong I tell you. Just wrong.

I sure can do without it. The modern women is the one who is insisting that the guy who is responsible be there with them to enjoy the ordeal. I guess, it is part of the fun now. I would rather the doctor and nurses do their jobs without a spectator.

I agree don't have any kids of my own but a close friend was preg the guy dumped her, so she talked me into going with her to all the classes and being in the delivery room dang I could have done without ever seeing that would never do that again learned my lesson.

sim.-ang.king":3k8e3rly said:
inyati13":3k8e3rly said:

And somebody always says "He looks just like his daddy". :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":2ko19sw5 said:
sim.-ang.king":2ko19sw5 said:
inyati13":2ko19sw5 said:

And somebody always says "He looks just like his daddy". :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

They won't say that about my kids, i'll make sure of that! :lol:

wacocowboy":36fe45kt said:
I agree don't have any kids of my own but a close friend was preg the guy dumped her, so she talked me into going with her to all the classes and being in the delivery room dang I could have done without ever seeing that would never do that again learned my lesson.

That was extremely nice of you and for what its worth YOU have just moved up about sixty notches on my people I respect list. :tiphat:

Latest posts