A little disappointed at the fair board...

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy

Reaction score
Just had a talk with my neighbor today. They just got back from the fair boards and they were upset that the fair decided to ban any double muscled cattle, including Belgian Blues from 4-H and FFA cattle shows because in last recent years the neighbor's cattle were winning in most classes (usually market classes and cow/calf shows). I think it's ridiculous that they ban a breed because the other people were being sore losers.

With that line of thinking, regarding the fair Board, in my county they would "ban" Braunvieh.

I agree, pathetic.

for the record, I have not spent any time showing cattle.

That's stupid. I'm on our fair board, and cochair the livestock shows. We don't have an extremely big show. It'd tickle me to death to have a few show up.

slick4591":ibfxjt3r said:
I thought they did that back a few years ago? Thought then and still think that's it's pretty pathetic.
They almost did that few years ago but now with new members they were able to ban the double muscled breeds. Their son was so upset that he can't show his BB X Angus steer and his Angus cow with a BBx calf this summer. He was so excited and looking forward for the show days with his friends.

There are only two counties in IL that allow crossbred breeding stock. Most don't want them because they always win.

Kind of sad that the big name breeds don't want to show against the AOB because they are afraid to lose.

sim.-ang.king":37avcj3p said:
There are only two counties in IL that allow crossbred breeding stock. Most don't want them because they always win.

Kind of sad that the big name breeds don't want to show against the AOB because they are afraid to lose.
A friend from Wisconsin (she is a member here) told me that the fair board has been planning to ban the continentals and their crosses from market shows. That just leaves you with just Angus and maybe Hereford. I can't remember there was a time when a straight Angus steer won in the market class against crossbreds.

The fair beef shows around here have gotten so small, they SHOULD BE happy to get whatever they can! Once someone/a family puts in the time and starts cleaning house on a regular basis, they put in place whatever rules they can think of to run someone out. My daughter is already showing goats, but she will be in 4-H for fun, not to show. She can show her cattle, goats, and horses at breed shows , expos, nationals, etc. but the county fair is just such a nightmare, it is not worth the headache! It's a shame.

That's silly to ban some breed of cattle a kid wants to show, almost as silly as a judge giving blue ribbons or even worse, purple ones, to double muscled cattle.

js1234":3e4yo3s7 said:
That's silly to ban some breed of cattle a kid wants to show, almost as silly as a judge giving blue ribbons or even worse, purple ones, to double muscled cattle.
Neighbors have some really fine breeding stock of Belgian Blues and I really like their crosses out of their commercial Angus cows. Most Belgian Blues in United States & Canada are not that extreme as the ones in Europe.

I agree that double muscled cattle shouldn't be the ideal in a market Beef class. There are always some at the fair shows around here. The steers are always ranked on the hoof separate from actaul class placing. The judges always sift the double muscled ones out and they never get in the sales. I think it falls on the people selling these steers to unsuspecting kids to at least warn them it is a likely possibility. The thing is, the fair should never ban a breed just for a breed characteristic. It's not as if the double muscling presents a hazard. Just lame!

Boot Jack Bulls":1i7wthmv said:
I agree that double muscled cattle shouldn't be the ideal in a market Beef class. There are always some at the fair shows around here. The steers are always ranked on the hoof separate from actaul class placing. The judges always sift the double muscled ones out and they never get in the sales. I think it falls on the people selling these steers to unsuspecting kids to at least warn them it is a likely possibility. The thing is, the fair should never ban a breed just for a breed characteristic. It's not as if the double muscling presents a hazard. Just lame!
Problem is that the neighbor's kids never showed a finished double muscled steer before, only cow/calf pairs and their show cows are not even double muscled or purebred BB. Only the calves were half BB and that's it.

Muddy":3ru756wx said:
Boot Jack Bulls":3ru756wx said:
Problem is that the neighbor's kids never showed a finished double muscled steer before, only cow/calf pairs and their show cows are not even double muscled or purebred BB. Only the calves were half BB and that's it.
I have no idea why a fair board would say any given breed was out of any of the classes you've mentioned.
If it were my kid, I'd view them showing a double muscled animal as basically assuring themselves of a defeat in a commercial beef class, kind of like showing a longhorn(I've got a slug of them in front of my house but they're not going to win a beef pair class or whatever else that isn't breed specific) or a zebu.
That said, if the kid just loves BB's, or their family raises them or they just like placing at the bottom of their class or the girl they have a crush on is into blue roan cattle or whatever reason, valid or otherwise, makes said kid decide BB's are the breed to show, let him show them.

Perhaps if they had a separate class for DM cattle it would be reasonable.. if there were enough to justify it... and give the folks showing enough of a heads up so they have time to choose their animals.

Muddy.. banning all continental cattle.. now thats the epitome of a sore loser

Nesikep":rccckz0d said:
Perhaps if they had a separate class for DM cattle it would be reasonable.. if there were enough to justify it... and give the folks showing enough of a heads up so they have time to choose their animals.

Muddy.. banning all continental cattle.. now thats the epitome of a sore loser
Yup, I blamed on their parents for raising crybabies or got them with poor quality cattle. The younger generation seems like they're little spoiled and I kinda can tell that they didn't come from the families with big ranches.

I can say I've lost far more times than I've ever won at anything I've ever tried... and I think I'm better off for it too.

If the show is actually about what beef is best, then it ought to be open to anything anyone wants to show... DM or not, continental or british

4h has been going this way for the last 15 or 20 years or so. It's all about fun and games, giggles and emotions. No one is ever supposed to come away thinking that they should or could have done better. In many places they actually do give every child a ribbon just for showing up. The kid who worked with his animals all year and has them in top condition gets just as much a reward as the dope who doesn't have a clue what it is all about and reluctantly brushes some of the mud off of one of the calves that someone else raised and cared for. He enters it at the last minute because mommy thinks it will boost his self esteem and has him convinced that it will be fun and meaningful to win a participation ribbon at the fair.

Those kids and their families who have figured out that ditching 4h and showing in open shows is the way to go have gotten things figured out. They understand how the real world works, and don't fall for all of the pipe dreams and touchy feely nonsense.

4h clubs are all different, and are no better then their individual leaders. I know a few leaders who know what they are doing and run great clubs that teach real lessons. Then there are the others, and they seem to be the majority today. Any mommy who thinks it cute that Jimmy and Sally play dress up with a chicken can try to legitimize it through public recognition and start up a 4h club to push their agenda. And they do. Nowhere in the 4h leader vetting process is there any requirement for any kind of actual experience or subject knowledge of the main goal of their club. And it shows.

It used to be about kids. Now it is parents cooking feed for steers and hiring trainers. The kids are not showing steers produced on their farms. Where's the education?

Latest posts