A.I. Tank Help

Help Support CattleToday:

choward2955jd

Reaction score
I just bought a Semen Tank to use on my cows. The tank holds 500 straws. My question are the following.
1. I found semen on a bull i want to buy. One place has his semen $9.00 and another has it for $15.00. Does one make the difference in your opinions.
2. How long do I have to get the semen from the tank they send it in to my tank once the semen has been delievered.
3. What are some good places to purchase semen on bulls? I am looking for Hereford, Maine, and Chianina semen?
As always thanks for everyones help.

choward2955jd":pv83qtky said:
I just bought a Semen Tank to use on my cows. The tank holds 500 straws. My question are the following.
1. I found semen on a bull i want to buy. One place has his semen $9.00 and another has it for $15.00. Does one make the difference in your opinions.
2. How long do I have to get the semen from the tank they send it in to my tank once the semen has been delievered.
3. What are some good places to purchase semen on bulls? I am looking for Hereford, Maine, and Chianina semen?

1. If you're sure it's the same bull, why not save a few bucks.

2. Make sure your tank is filled. They will ship it in a small tank. You should remove the canes and make the transfer as quick as you can. Don't let them thaw as they can't be refrozen and remain good.

3. Those are not my breeds, so I'll let someone else answer this one.

choward2955jd":3316spj9 said:

Hereford:

Reed enterprises website. Click on the alphabetized list at the bottom of the page: http://reedent.com/reedent/reed.html

Semen catalogs listing on the AHA website including the 2014 breed AI directory: http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 2B3C2B3C3A

And of course there are many listed on the bull stud sites: absglobal, select sires, Genex, accelerated genetics, etc. Generally speaking, the bull studs have the highest quality control standards.

ABS, Select Sires, Genex, Accelerated Genetics will have a good selection of Herefords - polled & horned.
The Maine and Chianina are not 'mainstream' breeds; selection will be limited, but you'll find some at CattleVisions, Universal Semen Sales, SEK/Genetic Horizons, maybe at Bovine Elite.
You might find some fb/pb Maines in the Shorthorn listings at CV - and many of the 'club calf' bulls are a duke's mixture of Maine/Chi/Angus/Simmental, and who knows what else.

Lucky_P":9pvkdbdi said:
many of the 'club calf' bulls are a duke's mixture of Maine/Chi/Angus/Simmental, and who knows what else.
Is that a polite term for "hodge podge"?

Latest posts