A I Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
I was discussing cattle management last week with someone from Colorado. He said his neighbor sent his boy to CSU, where the boy learned A I and the finer points of cattle management. He swears that young man came back and convinced his dad to let him A I the cows, and ever since they've had twins on every cow.

I think that is hogwash. I can see Embryo Transfer doing that - just transfer 2 fertilized eggs into one cow.

Can you get twins consistently from A I? If so, why isn't everyone doing it?

No Not possible. We have been AI ing for years and it is the same as before. The old egg has it catchers mit up and it grabs the first one that comes in.

You can sort the sex and get a higher percentage of bulls or heifers but not multible births.

theres no way you can get twins from every cow AI bred.theres 2 ways to get twins.1 the egg splits.an both form embryos.2 if you deposit semen in right an lefy uterine horns.an she ovalates dropping 2 eggs.1 in ea horn.scott

Speaking of A.I. how do you catch your cattle in heet. My cows don't ride one anouther like most cows. I am thinking about getting a gomer bull is this the way to go.

a gomer bull would work.an he would have tobe fitted with a chinball marker halter.or cows have heat detector patches put on them.you have to heat watch 4 times a day.early morning an late evening.an some during the day.if you dont heat detect you cant catch cows in heat.an breed them on standing heat.some breed am pm.wich means see her in heat in morning breed at nite.see in heat at nite an breed in the morning.scott

I had one cow and every other year she would have twins. First year I bought her from Zeb Morris in NC and bought her with a calf at her side. Bred her to transformer she had twins, next year bred her to Floridian one calf, next year bred her to a transformer son twins, next year bred back to the same the same bull (transformer son) one calf, next year bred her to Pathfinder had twins, next year bred her to SG Tonto one calf, next year bred her to that same Transformer son had twins then we sold her to a local breeder for $1,000 and we bought her and her calf for $2,100 but we sold all her calves for $1,000 a piece except for one heifer we got $1,200. So just on her calves I made $11,200 then she sold for $1,000 at 10 years old. The calf that we bought at her side for the sale got struck by lighting.