A.I. charges

Help Support CattleToday:

bse":3no6htkh said:
Hopalong ive got the cost of syncing one down to a little over 14 dollars i try to buy in large quantities. I give 2cc cystorelin and cidar 7 day later pull cidr give 6cc lut patch them breed them when they come in or on time 2 more ccs of cystorelin. I cant go do 1or 2 at that price i did 5 last week it was a mile from home had about an hour in the whole process cleared 50 dollars customer is happy im happy and i get to do all his A.I work when he has more in the fall. I guess im trying to make a little money and help people out to. If they sync there own its around 10 dollars a head depending on the # of head.

$14 to time synch per head? What kind of volume do you by the CIDR's at to get any kind of break? It's hard to believe you kind get them for much less then $10 each, unless you're reusing them. That leaves $4 for three shots of Vet only drugs.

Thank,
Alan

Alan":fx9jq7y7 said:
bse":fx9jq7y7 said:
Hopalong ive got the cost of syncing one down to a little over 14 dollars i try to buy in large quantities. I give 2cc cystorelin and cidar 7 day later pull cidr give 6cc lut patch them breed them when they come in or on time 2 more ccs of cystorelin. I cant go do 1or 2 at that price i did 5 last week it was a mile from home had about an hour in the whole process cleared 50 dollars customer is happy im happy and i get to do all his A.I work when he has more in the fall. I guess im trying to make a little money and help people out to. If they sync there own its around 10 dollars a head depending on the # of head.

$14 to time synch per head? What kind of volume do you by the CIDR's at to get any kind of break? It's hard to believe you kind get them for much less then $10 each, unless you're reusing them. That leaves $4 for three shots of Vet only drugs.

Thank,
Alan
$14 sounds possible. I just buy in small quantities and it costs me $16.35/hd.
CIDRS - $9.25
Estrumate - $2.60
Cystorelin - $2.25

Do any of you have to have the livestock field inspected in order to get the meds?
Here in Az we do, you have to add that cost in and factor it in.

Granted the owner will/could have the vet inspect at his expense but that in itself drives up the cost, unless the tech has the cattle at his place and ther vet expense is distrubited over several head, plus I have the facilties and it would make it easier to work them.

Thoughts?

I buy cidrs for 8.50 usally 200 at a time I dont try to make anything off the sync stuff. Here in TN a vet dosent have to inspect any cattle to A.I them you do have to have a prescription for the cystorelin and lut or whatever kind you use.

dun":2gkxlmuq said:
hopalong":2gkxlmuq said:
There are several around here that hire their A.I. work done most have a small herd and find it ie easier and less expesive not to have their own tank,
I am trying to break into that market as there are not mny doing A.I. work in this area.

Especially into the different not so common breeds, belted Galloway, british white, the 1 or 2 people who have one or 2 milk cows, one has contacted me that has a few longhorns,

There is a market out there and I am looking ito tapping into it.
I know there is no set common thing as far as A.I.ing but my tank cost over $600 how many small producers can afford that??
I am not talking about the 50 to 1000 head rancher I am talking about the 1 to 20 head producer that need a service
dun":2gkxlmuq said:
Other then reilief breeding at a copule of dairys, it was the small 1 or 2 head places that originally started my AI service for. The diverse inventory of bulls for the general small guy can be fairly small. Then it was 4-5 blk Angus, a couple of Holstins a Jersey or 2, a couple of Herefords and a Gert. Sometimes a Lincoln Red and Simmenthal or Gelbvieh. The hardest part was being called at the right time to be able to get the cow/heifer to settle. Most didn;t have much of a facility. A gate to squeeze them behind ot maybe a couple of panels to make an alley. More often then not it was a halter and tied to a fence or tied in a barn, maybe to a tree or the owner holding the rope.
Dun, I know exactly what you are saying. I tried to offer AI when I first learned. I couldn't carry enough different bull to please everyone. They would call at all hours. I had one couple that their family cow only came in heat on Christmas day. I would go, she always took. Facility? lol, I had one place I drove 15 miles, got out, they pointed to the cow in the lot, "there she is". I'm not sure what they thought I was going to do.

From what I am reading seems like a lot of those of you who just started out should have asked the questions I am asking before trying to make a living out of it (WHICH I AM NOT)

All i want to do is take advantage of a small market of people that cannot/will not use a bull.

As I mentioned i have been contacted by a few people who have some cattle that do not fall into the normal( by your standards) breeds.
If I were a drinking man it might buy me a 6 pack>

sometimes a man does what he enjoys :D

hopalong":3ebbtc10 said:
The enjoy part is a big share of the reason I started and still do it. KNowing you have settled a cow and seeing that new born calf almost makes me want to hand out cigars.

hopalong wrote: sometimes a man does what he enjoys :D

The enjoy part is a big share of the reason I started and still do it. KNowing you have settled a cow and seeing that new born calf almost makes me want to hand out cigars.
hopalong":73bvnnvz said:

* Quote hopalong

AMEN!!!!

We had our first ET calf the other day and my wife told me I acted like we had our fourth child... I just smile everytime I see him.... :D :D

I wish I could find someone around here to ai for 40-80 bucks with syncing. I don't like relying on someone elses bull for natural service, even though I pay the feed bill when I take the cow to his place and he's a friend. Can't justify keeping my own bull. I think you may be onto something, catering to the small operators

Hmm.
I was paying $10/service + the cost of semen, back in 1989, down in bse's part of the country. She was a friend and client; maybe she was giving me a break, but I don't think so.
Can't imagine somebody even breaking even at that price today - probably wouldn't even cover the gas for the AI tech to drive out to my place, today, much less allow them any sort of profit for their expertise. And, I mostly bought the semen and had the tech store it in their tank, so I doubt they even got a 'cut' from the bull stud.