First A.I. Calf!

Help Support CattleToday:

bpwagner115

Reaction score
TWINS2.JPG

Went out to check cows this afternoon and found twins! I feel like a kid on christmas morning.

Congrats, you def. got your moneys worth on that AI, a two for one deal for sure! Did she claim both?
Jenna

Yes, she has claimed them both. We will pull the heifer calf off in a few days and keep for a bottle calf/foster calf in case we have trouble later on with another cow. Would have been nice to get a replacement heifer (or two!) instead of a freemartin, but no complaints :D

Sounds good. We had a cow claim both, two heifer calves two years ago. She raised them both, and come fall you would not know those two from their herd-mates as far as size, actually, they were bigger then some of the single calves. It didnt faze that mother cow either, she didnt lose weight and bred right back. That cow was amazing, but she had her hands (er hooves) full keeping track of them two for a couple months, but she did. Most of the time when we have had twins the mother only wants one, and will bunt or step on the other calf.
Jenna

Congratulations! The only thing better than 1 healthy baby is 2 healthy babies!
I think twins are great and so is your cow for having them both on her own and taking care of them.
:cboy:

Neighbor has a white shorthorn cow that had twin heifers by a British White bull last spring.
The cow bred back on first service at 50 days and did a great job raising both, neither ended up stunted at weaning.
I saw the heifers last week and the smaller one is now caught up and they look so much alike its almost impossible to tell the first born from the other. The cow has bred on 1st service 4 times and seems like such a Fertile Myrtle that I'm almost tempted to buy both the twins for replacements.

Latest posts