A.I. charges

Help Support CattleToday:

hopalong

Reaction score
For those of you doing A.I. for others what are you charging?
What kind if any guarantee are you giving?
Do you use a standard form for record keeping or do you have your own?

hopalong":atf8n2ml said:
For those of you doing A.I. for others what are you charging?
What kind if any guarantee are you giving?
Do you use a standard form for record keeping or do you have your own?
My wife does the breeding...does a lot for friends as well. No guarantees of anykind. But she does't charge them either. They keep the records however they wish and we have our way. Everybody probably does it differently and I'm sure most charge something.

Thanks texasbred, Some breed associations requre dna from some sires and detailed information is required in order to register a calf within the Assoc.
If done by anyone other than the owner a signed statement by the tech could be required, that is the kind of forms I was looking for in order to be able to do this .

Was hoping some one out there had the records etc forms that I could use to make my own if necessary.
I have gotten some calls from owners who want me to A.I. regarding some registered stock.

I do my own A.I.ing. This year I had 2 people that wanted me to A.I their stock. I will charge $60 from start to finish. It covers my supplies. I am still learning so it is good practice. I do not guarantee that they are pregnant. I tell them that it is up to the animal.

hopalong":2myzi5sx said:
Thanks texasbred, Some breed associations requre dna from some sires and detailed information is required in order to register a calf within the Assoc.
If done by anyone other than the owner a signed statement by the tech could be required, that is the kind of forms I was looking for in order to be able to do this .

Was hoping some one out there had the records etc forms that I could use to make my own if necessary.
I have gotten some calls from owners who want me to A.I. regarding some registered stock.
With the Red Angus Association, any bull used for AI and any cow used for a donor has to have a record of the dna on file with the association.

It would be the owner of the animal's responsibility to get their DNA on file or whatever their breed regisry requires. Not the AI tech. Most of the sire centers pull the DNA sample on the bull while they have them in for collection, it's just convenient to do so and they can charge for it and make a little more money. By the time semen is changing hands it should already be done. If it was me, I would put in writing the tattoo/brand of the cows that I AI'd and the identifying info. from the straw used. Surely there is a standard industry form for that, just like the BSE form the vets use on the bulls.

Would it not be the techs responsibility to veryfy the correct semen was used?
Especially if the tech was storing the straw in his tank?
The tech should certify that the straw used was from the correct bull does he not?
Not questioning any one just trying to get information that I can use and do it correctly so that there are not any problems down the road.
Not wanting to have to explain to a customer why the $100 charged him for a straw and the calf cannot be registered when his calf is on the ground.
Commercial a.i. i can understand the lack of need to keep good records, embryo transplant and Registered stock is a different story in my mind

When I AI for someone now I don;t charge them, I give them the straw after the cow is bred. It
s their job to keep track of what cow got bred to who. When I did the custom AI deal I did it the same way but I had a receipt to show what semen I had used. I didn;t keep track of what cow it went into though.

hopalong":ye96tari said:
Would it not be the techs responsibility to veryfy the correct semen was used?
Especially if the tech was storing the straw in his tank?
The tech should certify that the straw used was from the correct bull does he not?
Not questioning any one just trying to get information that I can use and do it correctly so that there are not any problems down the road.
Not wanting to have to explain to a customer why the $100 charged him for a straw and the calf cannot be registered when his calf is on the ground.
Commercial a.i. i can understand the lack of need to keep good records, embryo transplant and Registered stock is a different story in my mind
Can't remember ever breeding for anyone that didn't own their own tank and semen. That's their responsibility.

There are several around here that hire their A.I. work done most have a small herd and find it ie easier and less expesive not to have their own tank,
I am trying to break into that market as there are not mny doing A.I. work in this area.

Especially into the different not so common breeds, belted Galloway, british white, the 1 or 2 people who have one or 2 milk cows, one has contacted me that has a few longhorns,

There is a market out there and I am looking ito tapping into it.
I know there is no set common thing as far as A.I.ing but my tank cost over $600 how many small producers can afford that??
I am not talking about the 50 to 1000 head rancher I am talking about the 1 to 20 head producer that need a service

hopalong":m7bvyme9 said:
There are several around here that hire their A.I. work done most have a small herd and find it ie easier and less expesive not to have their own tank,
I am trying to break into that market as there are not mny doing A.I. work in this area.

Especially into the different not so common breeds, belted Galloway, british white, the 1 or 2 people who have one or 2 milk cows, one has contacted me that has a few longhorns,

I know there is no set common thing as far as A.I.ing but my tank cost over $600 how many small producers can afford that??
I am not talking about the 50 to 1000 head rancher I am talking about the 1 to 20 head producer that need a service
Other then reilief breeding at a copule of dairys, it was the small 1 or 2 head places that originally started my AI service for. The diverse inventory of bulls for the general small guy can be fairly small. Then it was 4-5 blk Angus, a couple of Holstins a Jersey or 2, a couple of Herefords and a Gert. Sometimes a Lincoln Red and Simmenthal or Gelbvieh. The hardest part was being called at the right time to be able to get the cow/heifer to settle. Most didn;t have much of a facility. A gate to squeeze them behind ot maybe a couple of panels to make an alley. More often then not it was a halter and tied to a fence or tied in a barn, maybe to a tree or the owner holding the rope.

hopalong":2t65ge5z said:

Hoppy those folks probably could care less what you breed to. If they ask you should be able to tell them but otherwise they just want the cow bred...buy decent semen and give'em a shot. Don't try to stock every breed or you'll have your retirement stored in semen.

TexasBred":ghmjw6af said:
hopalong":ghmjw6af said:

Hoppy those folks probably could care less what you breed to. If they ask you should be able to tell them but otherwise they just want the cow bred...buy decent semen and give'em a shot. Don't try to stock every breed or you'll have your retirement stored in semen.

I hire out the service here. Too few cows to warrant the bull and that way I get to pick which bulls to use on them. Hoppy, I call somewhere around 3-6 months ahead of time, tell them what I want for a bull and they get it from ABS, Select Sires or whoever they can and store it for me. That way I get what I want and they don't stock semen hoping someone will take it. Works for me anyway.

My husband has AI'd cattle for other people. The people order and pay for the semen and have it shipped to our house.
He charges $40 if there is only one cow. We do not charge for storing the semen if the customer orders multiple straws. If the cow does not catch on the first breeding, he will come back and AI the second time for free.

If he uses our semen, he charges the cost of semen (usually about $20 per straw).

The cow owner is responsible for purchasing any certificates required for registration.

Most folks sync the heifer or cow's heat cycle so that he knows when to AI rather than depend on the owner watching the cow for signs of being in heat.

I charge 25 to 30 dollars depending on the # of head thats for all the sync supplies and doing the A.I ing the semen is whatever bull they want usually around 20 to 25 dollars so the whole process is around 50 to 60 If i charged the 100 dollars your talking about around here id be out of business quick just a few and its cheaper to lease a bull at that price. I check the straw after i breed them and the owner writes what he or she wants to. In the angus breed the owner just orders a certificate on whatever bull it was after the calf is born.

I'll take it from the other side, I have a guy (I now consider a friend) who does the AI for me. Although I have my own tank, buy all my own semen and maintain the LN2 level. I also use a timed synch system, buy the CIDR's, GnRH and lute as wells give the shots set and pull CIDR's myself. With my system I start the synch on a Wed. evening so I know the cows should be in standing heat a week and about 60 hours later, which is a Friday evening or Saturday morning. He has never charged me but I have given him Cidr's and supplies for other customers he does charge. Seems to me he charges $20 to $25 per head plus semen charge. However he does not charge anything except the cost of semen for local 4 H kids.

Alan

Ty bse
The $100 semen charge was just an example.

How ever if you sync cows
$10.oo for a cidr
2 shots of Gnrh at $7.00 per
1 shot of lute at $7.00
semen at $25.oo
time at $25.oo

$85 total
That does not include the cost of having a vet inspect the herd to insure health is good before giving me a script for the drugs needed, but that could be divided amonst the whold herd being worked.

I just recently saw an add on craigslift of a jersey bull for use
$75.oo plus $1.00 a day drayage while they kept the cow. depending on how long that could be well over $100.
What would be the cost of leasing say a belted gallaway? who has one? or a british white? or a longhorn?
any one get where i am trying to go with this? or are you just looking at your area and situation.
Bse i do not know how you can afford to do the a.i.ing for $25 and supplying thje sync supplies, what proticol are you using?

Hopalong ive got the cost of syncing one down to a little over 14 dollars i try to buy in large quantities. I give 2cc cystorelin and cidar 7 day later pull cidr give 6cc lut patch them breed them when they come in or on time 2 more ccs of cystorelin. I cant go do 1or 2 at that price i did 5 last week it was a mile from home had about an hour in the whole process cleared 50 dollars customer is happy im happy and i get to do all his A.I work when he has more in the fall. I guess im trying to make a little money and help people out to. If they sync there own its around 10 dollars a head depending on the # of head.