A highly tuned and well oiled machine

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Apparantly my cattle operation is a highly tuned and well oiled machine. I got a new bull yesterday because one of the bull's had been injured. After watching the new one fight for his place a bit I went looking for the bull that had been injured and found him freshly dead in the woods. Is this planning or what?

I got a red angus which is pretty rare around here. Never had any experience with them but a friend of mine who is in the grassfed business had one he was trying and I picked it up from him. I really thought the other bull was on the mend. His hip was messed up from breeding season and I had hoped to haul him off to the sale barn when he mended. Guess not.

Nice we have alot of red angus about 2 hours from here. I have always wanted to buy some red angus heifers at the sale barn when I see them come through. Do you insure your cattle ?

skyhightree1":1u4q92yn said:
Do you insure your cattle ?

No. I have an umbrella policy that covers things like them getting on the highway but insuring the cattle themselves no. I could have used it this year with the lightning strike that took some out but after doing the math I was still better off by not having them insured. I just chalk this up as a cost of owning cows. $hit just happens.

Good point.. I was gonna create a post about insuring cattle and stuff but I am guessing the best thing to do is what you said have an umbrella policy and chalk up deaths as a cost of farming. I have insurance on everything even standing timber insurance to insure the timber until we cut it so was wondering if should even try to insure cattle.

Jogeephus":lv2vxf6f said:
Apparantly my cattle operation is a highly tuned and well oiled machine. I got a new bull yesterday because one of the bull's had been injured. After watching the new one fight for his place a bit I went looking for the bull that had been injured and found him freshly dead in the woods. Is this planning or what?
Planning would have been for the new bull to push your old one into the corral so he could heal , and take him off to make money off of. A dead bull dont bring you anything but a coyotes, & buzzards.

Well that sucks ! Thankfully you did get that new bull though ,so your season will not be put at risk .

As far as planning ahead I know exactly how that goes . I knew I was having far to great of success this year with all the healthy calves and twins being born so finding Lolita upside down , dead, pregnant with twin heifers that were probably going to be born that day, really should have been expected . :roll:

Limomike":2niprxru said:
Jogeephus":2niprxru said:
Planning would have been for the new bull to push your old one into the corral so he could heal , and take him off to make money off of. A dead bull dont bring you anything but a coyotes, & buzzards.

Ok, we'll just call it luck. I won't sell anything off the farm unless its completely healthy even if its going to the kill pen. I really thought this bull was coming around but I was wrong. Still no buzzards today so he may have been snake bit.

Was it one of those you picked up 2 years back? Sucks that it died on you. Funny how buzzards get picky about snake bit, sick, or gut shot

Hook, it was one of those. The lead one that doesn't look like the Joker. Sky, I can't get to him to bury him cause he's in the woods .... at least that is what I keep telling myself. I have this aversion to stench so if the buzzards won't eat him maybe the worms will.

Jogeephus":2xugxotu said:
Hook, it was one of those. The lead one that doesn't look like the Joker. Sky, I can't get to him to bury him cause he's in the woods .... at least that is what I keep telling myself. I have this aversion to stench so if the buzzards won't eat him maybe the worms will.

I completely understand.

Sky, once I get a team of Woofers on the place I think I'll let them take on this chore as it will be a totally organic job. I'll even give the the choice to dig the hole right beside the carcass or several yards away if they choose to drag it to the hole without the use of a tractor since this would be using oil.

Latest posts