A great biscuit....

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3ha20swc said:
What is tomatoe gravy & cat head biscuits?

tomato gravy

I'm guessing on the measurments

large skillet or spider

approx 1/4 cup oil( i use bacon grease)
1/2 cup plain flour
salt and pepper
1 quart jar of tomatoes (can tomatoes will work)

heat the oil in the pan med high
add the flour and salt and pepper stir in pan untill it gets light brown
dump in the tomatos stir and you will probally have to add some water to thin it some
I turn it on low and simmer about 5 min.

milk gravy is the same except you use milk instead of tomatoes.

cat head biscuits

I use a large bowl with SR flour. hollow out a hole in the middle of the flour pour little grease in the center and about a cup of milk
fold the flour into the milk and oil until you get a ball of dough pinch of a wad about the size of a tennis ball and put it on your greased cast iron
biscuit pan flatten it to about 1" thick . i then dip the back of 4 fingers in the grease and gently press right in the center to make a slight impression.
350 for 15 min or so they should be 3 to 4 inchs across when done or about the size of a cat's head

Ya'll just made me hungry. I have never heard of tomato gravy. I can't believe I've never considered it myself, because I think tomatoes are like blue jeans; they go well with anything

Ouachita":2rq5k0ed said:
Ya'll just made me hungry. I have never heard of tomato gravy. I can't believe I've never considered it myself, because I think tomatoes are like blue jeans; they go well with anything
Yall must not have been as poor as we were. When I was growing up we had plenty but not rich. But my grandparents still acted like it was still the depression. She could make something good that would stick to your ribs out of nothing.

M5farm":1sa8st0o said:
Ouachita":1sa8st0o said:
Yall must not have been as poor as we were. When I was growing up we had plenty but not rich. But my grandparents still acted like it was still the depression. She could make something good that would stick to your ribs out of nothing.

Mine too. I was raised to believe that a slice of home made bread drowned in milk gravy made with fried chicken drippins was a meal fit for a King.......and it was

Also i can still taste my Grandma's bread pudding.......... :heart:

It gets confusing whenever I hear folks refer to 'biscuits', they sound like something I would call 'scones' except we have them with tea and not gravy. Biscuits on this side of the world would be something like ginger nuts or chocolate cookies that you dunk in your tea :?. Any huge difference between scones and your biscuits?

Never heard of them before. Tomatoe gravy sounds interesting. So, is this something you would use as a side to a meal with meat?? I mean, besides putting it over biscuits, what does it go with??

Scones are sweet and sometimes contains raisins. Biscuits are not sweet and I've never seen anyone put fruit in them. Fruit would clash with the gravy.

OK. I get something stuck in my head I think is funny, and a say it a lot. I have been saying "den cover dat wit de graybe" for two days now.

M5farm":36g1zlsv said:
Ouachita":36g1zlsv said:

Don't know what rich or poor would have to do with me having never heard of tomato gravy. When I was a kid, I never considered ourselves poor, although I can imagine that neighbors thought we were. Just never heard of it. Maybe a regional anomoly, which wouldn't be the first. It sounds good, and I'm definately going to try it.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1r80ig6n said:
Never heard of them before. Tomatoe gravy sounds interesting. So, is this something you would use as a side to a meal with meat?? I mean, besides putting it over biscuits, what does it go with??
We normally fix ham steaks, sausage., grits and eggs or bacon. You could cook any kind of meat to go along with it.

We never had tomato gravy, as such. However, during fresh garden tomato season, we take hot sausage or bacon gravy and pour it over fresh sliced tomatoes---tastes great. The other gravy my Dad grew up on was red eye gravy. That was hot ham grease with water poured in. The water would split up into drops in the grease and make the grease go further, then it would be eaten by dragging a biscuit through it. The sausage or bacon gravy would be eaten over eggs, biscuits or fresh tomatoes.

stocky":1q2vfn6a said:
We never had tomato gravy, as such. However, during fresh garden tomato season, we take hot sausage or bacon gravy and pour it over fresh sliced tomatoes---tastes great. The other gravy my Dad grew up on was red eye gravy. That was hot ham grease with water poured in. The water would split up into drops in the grease and make the grease go further, then it would be eaten by dragging a biscuit through it. The sausage or bacon gravy would be eaten over eggs, biscuits or fresh tomatoes.
I've seen red eye gravy, Southern dish - NOT something I liked.

When I was up in Clayton NY. the restaurants didn't have grits. And some didn't even know what they were. But the cinnamon rolls were great.

Use black coffee instead of water to make redeye gravy. Pour over grits. One of the best breakfasts there is.

ga.prime":1oll5kbt said:
Use black coffee instead of water to make redeye gravy. Pour over grits. One of the best breakfasts there is.
whats with you folks in GA. always messing up good grits?? its butter, salt and pepper only :cowboy:

ga.prime":35dal9xn said:
Use black coffee instead of water to make redeye gravy.
It sure sounded like maybe pinkeye gravy rather then redeye gravy with the using water.

ALACOWMAN":24mjvyzr said:
ga.prime":24mjvyzr said:
whats with you folks in GA. always messing up good grits?? its butter, salt and pepper only :cowboy:

got to have runny eggs to mix with the grits. butter, salt and pepper of course

3waycross":3zqhtp4d said:
M5farm":3zqhtp4d said:
Ouachita":3zqhtp4d said:

Mine too. I was raised to believe that a slice of home made bread drowned in milk gravy made with fried chicken drippins was a meal fit for a King.......and it was

Also i can still taste my Grandma's bread pudding.......... :heart:
Gosh almighty! That sounds good righ now. Made me hungry

Latest posts