A Great 14 Years

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals

Well-known member
Joined
May 28, 2011
Messages
1,526
Reaction score
350
Location
Western Kentucky
Boone my old border collie expired last night. Didn't work cows much but a terrific smart pet for 14 yrs. gonna miss his nose nudges, hand shakes, and watching the wind blow through that long hair riding in the truck. He loved to referee the bull fights in his youth, was really fun watching. Sure is easy to get attached to one. Dave is going to get some extra attention and love today, probably more than he wants.
 
Sorry to hear that, its never fun losing a good trusted dog. But at least it sounds like he had a long good life. Hopefully Dave will as well
 
Post of pic of the old son, in tribute.

I'm bad about getting attached to them as well. No shame in that I don't think. And to hell with it if there is.
 
Caught myself glancing at a few pups on the net. I usually keep 2 dogs around, where one can have a bit of company when no one is around. I'm pretty well content with Dave at the moment he's a go getter. I'll get another probably when my eye glances on the right one. Dad wants me to get a Beagle where he can have a rabbit dog, :lol2: . Probably gonna be a Heeler or a Aussie though.
 
Ever own a Corgi? Great companion dogs! And they work cattle too! We are going to have a litter in about 6 weeks... Ask Bright Raven, he has two of ours!
 
Fire Sweep I have thought about you and your Corgi's. No I've never owned one. Yeah, I know Ron really loves his. I'll keep you in mind. At the moment not sure if Dave or me are ready for an addition.
 
FlyingLSimmentals":3l0ng6t8 said:
Fire Sweep I have thought about you and your Corgi's. No I've never owned one. Yeah, I know Ron really loves his. I'll keep you in mind. At the moment not sure if Dave or me are ready for an addition.
I'm an old phart but don't think I've ever lost a dog that I didn't cry like a little boy. Just get way to close to them. I would encourage you to get you another one as quickly as possible though. Somewhere there's one just waiting to win your heart. ;-)
 
My Border's were somewhat timid around the cattle. But they were really smart, loyal and great pets. I'll still consider another border. I'm thinking about a Red Heeler or another Australian Cattle Dog/Shep. like Dave mostly. But are considering other dogs for different reasons. Considerations are Heelers red and blue, Australian Shepherds/cattle dog, Collies the Borders and the Lassie type, Corgi but the legs are short for my liking, Labs, German Shepherd, and yes a Beagle, Dad :D . Yeah one day I'll see one that I just have to have and I'll grab my wallet and keys and go get it like I did with Dave.
Thanks for the Condolences Everyone. Dave is really enjoying everyone's full attention now that he has Flying L to himself as Canine Boss.
 
FlyingLSimmentals":196dhmju said:
My Border's were somewhat timid around the cattle. But they were really smart, loyal and great pets. I'll still consider another border. I'm thinking about a Red Heeler or another Australian Cattle Dog/Shep. like Dave mostly. But are considering other dogs for different reasons. Considerations are Heelers red and blue, Australian Shepherds/cattle dog, Collies the Borders and the Lassie type, Corgi but the legs are short for my liking, Labs, German Shepherd, and yes a Beagle, Dad :D . Yeah one day I'll see one that I just have to have and I'll grab my wallet and keys and go get it like I did with Dave.
Thanks for the Condolences Everyone. Dave is really enjoying everyone's full attention now that he has Flying L to himself as Canine Boss.
Give the Australian Shepherds a good long look. Great dogs.
 


Here's our new puppy, he showed up last week and is still in training. If he makes it through basic he's off to the vet's to become a heshe. He's hard headed so he'll fit right in.
 
Sorry for your loss Flying. My buddy is getting older and I really dread the day when I no longer have him by my side.
 
Yep....it's hard. Gretchen is close to 13. Poor thing seems not to understand why she can't jump into the truck like she used to. If you try, you can sneak up on her. Hearing is failing and I think eyesight is too but she is always ready to go.
 
1982vett, I know they got the heart and desire to go but are limited physically because of their age. That's what Boone was doing wanting to go with Dave and I to check on the cows. The front tire ended up bumping him and he became paralyzed from the hip back with nerve damage that eventually did him in.
Sorry for your all's loss Tim. Lab's are energetic fun dogs and a beagle that hunts rabbits is pretty awesome too. At the moment I'm content with just Dave but I'll add another sooner than later. He truly is man's best friend.
 
Grit... is that a Catahoula, or just a merle mutt?
Been thinking about what we'll need to replace the current farmstead dogs that are now 15 and 10 and on the downhill slide... I'd like to have another Catahoula, and the bride would like a good Border Collie. Haven't had a dog in 30 years that was any count working stock, but it would be handy to have one.
 
Lucky_P":1e6uyfcq said:
Grit... is that a Catahoula, or just a merle mutt?
Been thinking about what we'll need to replace the current farmstead dogs that are now 15 and 10 and on the downhill slide... I'd like to have another Catahoula, and the bride would like a good Border Collie. Haven't had a dog in 30 years that was any count working stock, but it would be handy to have one.

He's just a mutt that showed up and survived a bull dog hazing.
 
Top