A first for us caution graphic photo

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have said many times when you think you have things sorta figu out with cattle they will teach you just how wrong you are. Jacob and E went to get her show steer out after church yesterday and Jacob said the calf just wasn't acting right. He watched him for awhile and couldn't figure out what was going on not something any of us had seen. He called our vet who said it sounded like bladder stones so Jacob hauled him over. They did emergency surgery poor guy was about to explode his bladder. They had to do surgery to save him. I had heard of this but never had actual experience. i found a couple articles about it last night. The calf was still eating hay when Jacob hauled him to the vet he is back home and doing fine but I don't recommend standing too close behind him in case he needs to pee. https://www.iowabeefcenter.org/bch/UrinaryCalculi.pdf
9E6F33E9-DDB7-4D51-B1BD-A0DA095B9526.jpeg
View attachment FullSizeRender.MOV

Yes, we had 1 steer like that once, we went with common sense solution of slaughtering upon receiving diagnosis before the carcass becomes contaminated or running up a Vet bill that offsets any hope of any profit. Commercial decision vs 'pets' I guess.
SOB he would have been dead before we could have got him to a processor this way we still salvage the steer we certainly take a hit but not a complete loss but we won't have to bury him. Had this not been one of the girls show calves chances are we would have found him dead in the pasture. The remark about commercial vs. pets was a bit snarky even for you.

I have said many times when you think you have things sorta figu out with cattle they will teach you just how wrong you are. Jacob and E went to get her show steer out after church yesterday and Jacob said the calf just wasn't acting right. He watched him for awhile and couldn't figure out what was going on not something any of us had seen. He called our vet who said it sounded like bladder stones so Jacob hauled him over. They did emergency surgery poor guy was about to explode his bladder. They had to do surgery to save him. I had heard of this but never had actual experience. i found a couple articles about it last night. The calf was still eating hay when Jacob hauled him to the vet he is back home and doing fine but I don't recommend standing too close behind him in case he needs to pee. https://www.iowabeefcenter.org/bch/UrinaryCalculi.pdf
View attachment 27576
View attachment 27577
So will he always pee like that??

SOB he would have been dead before we could have got him to a processor this way we still salvage the steer we certainly take a hit but not a complete loss but we won't have to bury him. Had this not been one of the girls show calves chances are we would have found him dead in the pasture. The remark about commercial vs. pets was a bit snarky even for you.
You're right and deserve an apology, because I know you're not a pet producer. Being the girl's show steer I jumped to the conclusion it was being treated differently. More importantly forgot each case can be different. We caught ours when steer was struggling to pee, but still passing urine. Vet explained the options. He could do the surgery, but recommended slaughter due to the added cost on a steer already close to slaughter weight and might be close to the possibility of getting the carcass condemned if we waited too long.
(He was a former USDA meat inspector) Adding the steer could also shut down ability to pass any urine and be dead in a week.
I didn't realize yours was already past the stage where we caught our one and only case.

Last edited:
You're right and deserve an apology, because I know you're not a pet producer. Being the girl's show steer I jumped to the conclusion it was being treated differently. More importantly forgot each case can be different. We caught ours when steer was struggling to pee, but still passing urine. Vet explained the options. He could do the surgery, but recommended slaughter due to the added cost on a steer already close to slaughter weight and might be close to the possibility of getting the carcass condemned if we waited too long.
(He was a former USDA meat inspector) Adding the steer could also shut down ability to pass any urine and be dead in a week.
I didn't realize yours was already past the stage where we caught our one and only case.
No worries I shouldn't have said anything, I was also a bit snarky lol

Ok, but what did they do to the steer's urinary tract to make urine be expelled from behind instead of out his penis?

View attachment 27594
Follow the urethra from the bladder to the sheath. It goes toward the rear, turns down with an s shaped section to allow extension of the penis. Below the rectum, it is close to the rear of the steer. Vet makes an incision there, locates the urethra, makes a cut and sutures the end to keep it external.
About 20 years ago, I sent some steers to a small feedlot in Iowa. Two of the steers developed blockages. One died and one was salvaged with this procedure. My understanding is that steers on high phosphorus diets (corn) are at greater risk of development of stones if there is a nutrition imbalance. Important to keep the phosphorus/calcium ratio correct (increased calcium needed). Also was told that adding more salt to the feed will help prevent the problem (increased water intake).
During vet school clinical rotations, my daughter did a 3 week externship with a large animal clinic in Nebraska (clinic that does vet work for Connealy Angus). A steer was brought in with a blockage. The vets told her to do this procedure while they went on a call. That was her first bovine surgery.

Saw a few of those in 4H goats. Can't say for sure, but thought it was when they were fed the generic "all stock" feed. Thinking it was the molasses or copper. Basically if I remember correctly, it is more common when hay is reduced and majority of feed comes from concentrates/bags/feed mill. Good eye on catching it, would have the vet type something up and have it in the shoebox. Someone somewhere will question it.

If he gets urine on the skin you face the possibility of urine scald. Being a show steer I would put petroleum jelly on the skin below it to try to prevent that.

Latest posts