A few pics

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
The mama of the skuck calf

The skunk calf--any guess what could have produced this?

#3's heifer calf

# 104

# 104's heifer calf

# 101's heifer calf

recenlty acquired

recently acquireds bull calf

# 106 and her uncatchable almmost 9 month old heifer calf

recently acquired and soon to calve

#102--should calve again soon--she raised a whopper of a bull calf last yr

107 and her almost 5 month old bull calf

another of 107's bull calf--what is the opinion of him? To me its at least obvious he is a bull

Mr. Bull--almost 16 months old

What is the overall opinion of the body condition of these animals? I know they aren't the fanciest in the world but they are the ones I am starting with. When I got them they were in pretty average condition overall and some were downright skinny. I've had them all but the bull and two of the cows since January and they all came with a calf at the side or have calved since getting here. From comparing then and now pics I have to think they have all gained a significant amount of weight--the ribs are at least disappering. I have culled two cows and sold a few calves to this point but thats it. The light yellow in the pen will go as soon as her calf is gone, her teats were blown up so big the calf could barely suck them once she calved. Feel free to fire away and tell me how ugly they are. :D

I am just a commercial guy, but I really like your cattle. Surprised to see #104 had a red wf calf.
Are you picking these up at sales,or off of local farms? What is the bull simm? or limm?
I really enjoy the pictures everyone posts here on CT.

jasonleonard":w5t9nydh said:
I am just a commercial guy, but I really like your cattle. Surprised to see #104 had a red wf calf.
Are you picking these up at sales,or off of local farms? What is the bull simm? or limm?
In my experiences a red bull, gelbvieh, limm, angus, ect, used on angus and brangus black cows, will make a lot of red calves.

Everything here was bought bred. 104 was a bred heifer and was the only one. The rest were bred cows. The bull is a limousine. Thanks for the kind words and opinions. Z
I feel like some of these cows are pretty decent and can get me off to a decent start.
jasonleonard":261khm5b said:

Could she have been bred to a Hereford? FWIW my best cow is 110--she raised an awesome bull calf that sold about 3 months ago and just dropped another. Her and 102 came from the same farm according to their brand but 110 is much thicker and longer.
jasonleonard":g1u73wgl said:

The unthinkable happened and I caught 106's heifer calf. Weighed in at 645 and brought 1.25. Works for me.