A few hours ago

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks Ron. It doesn't take much for me to jump in to help when I think I can. I usually learn something by doing it. Turns out the owners are the parents of one of my boys friends. I still haven't heard if the heifer made it or not.

I think there was too much pressure on the spine and caused paralysis and I could also see she was in shock, so she may never have come out of that.

slick4591":gh4s1do5 said:
I think there was too much pressure on the spine and caused paralysis and I could also see she was in shock, so she may never have come out of that.

Shock and just to wore out to recover. Once their eyes roll there done.

Margonme":qlook0fs said:
slick4591":qlook0fs said:
These are his first. You know the type that buys acreage and plants cows thinking they'll populate and be fruitful. Only thing is he has 4 heifers and no bull and no plan. His wife has my wife's number. Bet it will ring. lol

Dennis, it is expensive getting into cattle and that makes it even more likely that most beginners will not have adequate facilities.

Personally, I would suffer severe anxiety if I did not have facilities. Or cattle that are of a disposition to be handled. If I have to assist, I put them in the tub part of the handling facility so if they go down I can access them. I learned the hard way not to put a difficult delivery candidate in the alley or chute. That was 5 years ago and it only takes one event.

PS: You are a good man, Charlie Brown. Thanks for helping a person who needs it.
I got into cattle a few years ago. The only experience I had was feeding cattle with my grandfather as a kid and talking with my brother while he had a few head of charolais. Both of them have passed away. I started off with calves, worked on the advice of my neighbors, my veteranarians and people on this board. Asked questions on this board I knew people were going to call stupid but where else can you go sometimes. I lost money(especially with the market now), spent thousands and thousands on fences, corrals, trailers, equipment, chutes, gates etc.. I have made some mistakes but some things you got to see first hand in my opinion. I can run cattle good enough to doctor them up and work them alone. I am still learning things about cattle, pastures and the cattle industry daily and love it. The challenge and learning is the fun part. Not even close to developing my herd but Rome wasnt built in a day. If it wasnt for people moving to the country and buying cattle and land it might go away some day. I am the younger generation trying to carry the torch to teach my children my familys legacy. Gotta pass it on. My parents didnt take interest in the family ranch but the grandson did. Bet my Grandfather is smiling down from heaven.

Latest posts