A discrace from New Jersey

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591":2lmxwlml said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2lmxwlml said:
Go to YouTube and find some of Mr. Wayne's recordings about patriotism, God, and country then check back in with me.

JW was an outstanding role model, but he was no hero.
John Wayne was full of contradictions. Although the star of countless Westerns such as John Ford's 1939 "Stagecoach" and 1953's "Hondo" owned a ranch, the Duke "didn't particularly like horses and preferred suits and tuxedos to chaps, jeans and boots," according to his son, Michael Wayne. The prototypical cowpoke also favored the sea over the prairie.

While many of his contemporaries, including Henry Fonda, Clark Gable and Ronald Reagan, served in the armed forces during World War II, the lead in such wartime sagas as 1945's "They Were Expendable," 1948's "Fort Apache" and 1968's "The Green Berets" did not. Wayne was not only missing in action during the 1940s' liberation of the Philippines and Europe, he wasn't a cavalry officer, a Vietnam commando or a Leatherneck—flying or otherwise—for he was never in the military.

According to Gary Wills' book "John Wayne's America," the man who portrayed the archetypal, battle-hardened Marine, Sgt. Stryker, in 1949's "The Sands of Iwo Jima," actually avoided the draft during WWII. Wills contends that the Duke did not reply to letters from the Selective Service system, and applied for deferments. Apparently, Wayne—who had sought stardom during years of B-pictures following Raoul Walsh's 1930 frontier drama "The Big Trail"—got his big break during the struggle against fascism when many Hollywood action heroes like Tyrone Power enlisted and shipped out overseas.
With much of the competition away in the Pacific and European theaters, Wayne was able to storm movie theaters to solidify his stardom. While Jimmy Stewart and his fellow celebrity servicemen were real action heroes, Wayne was a "Lights! Cameras! Action!" hero who merely played the part in the safety of Tinseltown's home front and back lot.

Guess he spent the rest of his life trying to make up for that.

He was 34 years old in 1941 with a 2 year old and a 7 year old in the house. Not exactly the prototype for the armed services.

Reagan got bashed by the left because his WWII service consisted of making films and PSAs for the troops. He never got anywhere near the action.

Now on a board like CT we're ripping the Duke? :???:

TennesseeTuxedo":3p4leeix said:
He was 34 years old in 1941 with a 2 year old and a 7 year old in the house. Not exactly the prototype for the armed services.

Reagan got bashed by the left because his WWII service consisted of making films and PSAs for the troops. He never got anywhere near the action.

Nope , more like saying it the way it is.

slick4591":3vnhh19j said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3vnhh19j said:
Go to YouTube and find some of Mr. Wayne's recordings about patriotism, God, and country then check back in with me.

JW was an outstanding role model, but he was no hero.
I agree with slick. I admire JW, but the word "hero" is way overused this day and time.
When it is used for everything it has no more value for anything.

In regards to Christie is it really a surprise? Isn't he the same goon that lowered the flags for the crack head Whitney that was a great role model for her children and children throughout the US.... This is a step up.

The only way to explain any of this type of stuff, is that we live in a lost world.

TennesseeTuxedo":2c1zyago said:

not me :cowboy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btvSE6tVHzQ

TennesseeTuxedo":2w6hmb2b said:

III-A....married with children.

hooknline":smg5dqwd said:
Red Bull Breeder":smg5dqwd said:
Maybe you all need to check out captain Kangaroo.
He was a hero. At least when I was 8 :lol:

He received the Navy Cross for his actions as a Marine on Iwo. In my book that makes him a hero. Lee Marvin also received the Navy Cross for what he did on that little island vacation.

Latest posts