A different drive and cook

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Back in the late 70's and early 80's I worked at a "service station", some of you old timers might remember what a service station was. Certainly not to be confused with today's gas stops. Just I enjoyed those days it was a company owned Chevron.

Okay back to topic, about once a week someone would come through and pop the car hood to check on lunch or dinner. They had a can of stew, beans, etc sitting on the intake manifold. Sometime it was something wraps in foil.

Sky's post just jarred my memory, I doubt most driver can find the intake manifold these day let alone think about warming thing up on the drive.

Just something that shook out from the cob webs upstairs.

Maybe I'm old school, but we still do this on a regular basis... lunch wrapped up in foil placed on the manifold of the tractor makes for a tasty hot lunch!

Alan":1a2vb1rh said:
Back in the late 70's and early 80's I worked at a "service station", some of you old timers might remember what a service station was. Certainly not to be confused with today's gas stops. Just I enjoyed those days it was a company owned Chevron.

Okay back to topic, about once a week someone would come through and pop the car hood to check on lunch or dinner. They had a can of stew, beans, etc sitting on the intake manifold. Sometime it was something wraps in foil.

Sky's post just jarred my memory, I doubt most driver can find the intake manifold these day let alone think about warming thing up on the drive.

I also worked at a "Service Station" Alan. I specialized in "Wind Shields". This was back in the mini-skirt days. :cowboy:

TexasBred":1hujgfq3 said:
Alan":1hujgfq3 said:

I also worked at a "Service Station" Alan. I specialized in "Wind Shields". This was back in the mini-skirt days. :cowboy:
.I bet you were a scary sight to behold, all stretched out to reach the middle of the windshield--wearing your miniskirt. :tiphat:

3waycross":27i3md4i said:
Nuthin better than tamales wrapped in foil and heated on the motor. :cowboy:
Oh lord, the memories of going to the drive in with my hot Latino gilfriend. Her mom would make tamales and we'd stick them in foil on the block of that cutlass supreme I had. A few times is forget about the tamales an remember a week or so later. Usually at the next date only to be forgotten once again

I have never cooked on the engine block block lots of folks did. As far as old school service station goes, I went to a 3 day training school before I could step on the pump block. We had to wear full uniforms including shoes and belts and jackets. We had lube bays with car hoist, did tire work, batts, belts, hoses, water pumps, alternators, u joints, shocks, hoses, brakes, ect... But here's what really going to freak some of you younger guys out.

As per training, every car in for gas got a "three man" service the primary dealt with the customer, pumped the gas, checked under the hood ( selling everything needed ), 2nd guy was on the tires, check pressure, wear, alignment and then help finish windows. Third guy was on windows, which included, all windows, mirrors, headlights and brake and turn signal lenses. I think if service stations did that today there would be lots of drive outs and complaints about mistreatment of their car.

Oh and TB ...... We had bikini Fridays during the summer months, in those days I was 6'4" and about 210lbs with some hair on my chest. The men used to mock me and make joke at me. The ladies old enough to be my mom back then gave me 20's ...... Ya I know what a cougar is. :cowboy: :lol:

greybeard":29c3r3fd said:
.I bet you were a scary sight to behold, all stretched out to reach the middle of the windshield--wearing your miniskirt. :tiphat:[/quote]

Well as they say "if you got it ... flaunt it". :mrgreen:

I didn't work as upscale an outfit as Allan did...
but my first off farm job when I was 13 was at my great uncles service station....
we did it all as well..... and he was always after me to sell sell sell....

pdfangus":ptcgiyy5 said:
I didn't work as upscale an outfit as Allan did...
but my first off farm job when I was 13 was at my great uncles service station....
we did it all as well..... and he was always after me to sell sell sell....

Not upscale as much as in the fishbowl. We were corporate owned and expected to do it the way Chevron wanted it done. You did nail it, we didn't check the tires for just air, it was so we could spot a problem and sell a service or tire. Getting under the hood was not about checking the oil find a need and sell a product. Wiping headlight was about looking for broken lamps. Lots of pressure on use to sell.