A couple Red Angus herd bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

BRG

Reaction score
Here are a couple bulls we raised. We sold 1/2 interest in the first bull and have used him pretty hard the last few years. The second bull was sold as a yearling to my brother and now we will most likely flush a cow or 2 to him, maybe AI some heifers to him next summer. They are both out of the same cow. What do you think?

LMG Gills Widespread 6800 - 4 year old

LMG Gills Addiction - 5 year old

I really like both bulls also. I would like to A.I. to both. I don't see much difference in either one. One might see a difference in the levelness from hooks to pins and tailhead settings. However, the four year old has a foot back a little far and that can definitely affect the appearance of both of those. Other than that, from the pictures, they are phenotypically very similar! I would guess that their dam is one heck of a cow since she easily stamped both bulls the same.

LMG Miss Dynette 902 - Here is their dam.

LMG Gills Bull Dawg - Another maternal brother we are using

LMG Miss Dynette 3041 - A maternal sister.

LMG Gills No Doubt 9018W - A son of the maternal sister, Dynette 3041

Brian once again you make us drool. I like both bulls but if I had to pick one to Ai some of my Red Gelbvieh's to it would be the 4yr old.

I sure do like their sister. I just bought a new red GV bull that would nick real nice on her.

3waycross":clgmdx63 said:
Brian once again you make us drool. I like both bulls but if I had to pick one to Ai some of my Red Gelbvieh's to it would be the 4yr old.

I sure do like their sister. I just bought a new red GV bull that would nick real nice on her.

I prefer the 4yo too. Nice bull.

Baldie Maker":27vgbcem said:
Hate to say this dirty word; but are you doing any line breeding around that cow?

Not on purpose. We think she is a super cow and we are trying to get alot of daughters and grand daughters out of her. But we do not intentionally breed family to family.

BRG":2dazvldk said:
Baldie Maker":2dazvldk said:
Hate to say this dirty word; but are you doing any line breeding around that cow?

Not on purpose. We think she is a super cow and we are trying to get alot of daughters and grand daughters out of her. But we do not intentionally breed family to family.

Are you flushing her?

3waycross":j7o1kj1i said:
BRG":j7o1kj1i said:
Baldie Maker":j7o1kj1i said:

Are you flushing her?

Yes we flushed her alot and now we are flushing her daughter (3041) who is in the photo above. This spring we sold 50% semen interest in a son of the 3041 to a group of breeders and to ABS. We used him pretty hard this spring and summer as well. Here he is.

BRG":3ospp2oy said:
Baldie Maker":3ospp2oy said:

Why not??

Kingfisher":6ew5eyy9 said:
How come the " black" ones I see around here don't look that good? :?

Could be they are chasing numbers? I dont know. I Really like all of them. Very good set of bulls and cows.

That last bull that is an abs sire. Why not breed him back to the cow you are trying to build around?

Or is that to close for you? He would be out of one of her daughters right?

Any of them bulls would sure make someone some nice crossbreds or just keep building a nice registered herd. Hard to fault good bulls. ;-)

Our program isn't built around line-breeding. I will use the abolute best cows and bulls and breed them to each other as much as we can. Most of our customers do not cross breed as they breed Red Angus to Red Angus. Because of this, we don't linebreed, if we did, then they would either linebreed or go to someone else and get their bulls.

Latest posts