A couple of questions on selling half and half/half beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I assuming you guys that sell get a non returnable deposit. Do any sell by hanging weight and if so have you every had a customer back out after the beef is hung? Giving up a deposit and leaving you with a half to sell in a short period?

Keep the money and put out feelers. We've had that happen and we sold it easy enough. We keep a list of people that have asked about butcher beef and people that have asked about buying weaned calves. When one opens up we call people on that list

We've never took a deposit. Generally sell to somebody we know though and not a complete stranger. We always sell on the hoof instead of hook.

J&D Cattle":2e6gg25y said:
We've never took a deposit. Generally sell to somebody we know though and not a complete stranger. We always sell on the hoof instead of hook.
Out of curiosity... what are you getting per pound on the hoof these days? I assume that the buyer pays kill fee as well as the cut & wrap??

Sorry for the late reply, Dad hauled 6 in the other day and got $1.30. To cheap but he is selling in a rural area and doesn't ask city farmers market type prices. Buyer pays kill fee and processing.

I have had them back out after they had it cut to their instructions. But at that point it is frozen and hopefully the butcher has enough freezer space to hold it for a few days. Keep the deposit and actually you can sell it a little cheaper because you have the deposit dollars to deduct off the cost to your new buyer. I have been selling beef on the rail off and on since I sold my first one when I was 9 years old. Right now I am in the off mood. Two years ago I had two people back out leaving me holding the bag. I don't raise cattle because I have deep desire to deal with the public. Heck last year I had a daughter pick up half a beef that I raised which I picked up at the butcher (I paid the processing). She told me she forgot her check book and would come over the next weekend. That was last August....... I am through selling beef to people for a while. So much for my rant.

Keep the deposit. Deduct those dollars from your original price and you will move the beef quickly at the new lower price.

Latest posts