A couple of my steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, I just got back the hanging weights of the first two steers. Hanging weights of 701 and 695. That's 1130, and 1120 lbs live weight. Pretty close to my original estimates, once again proving many an "expert" here, is nothing but an "expert" in their own mind. :wave: They were the smaller framed two of the four I had at the time, so I'm expecting hanging weights around 750 each for the next two. I just sold the last side. $2931 for two animals I paid $398 for......

The other two are already more than paid for.....

What have the doubters here learned? Probably not much. :nod:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

SirLoin":2huyo1tu said:
Well, I just got back the hanging weights of the first two steers. Hanging weights of 701 and 695. That's 1130, and 1120 lbs live weight. Pretty close to my original estimates, once again proving many an "expert" here, is nothing but an "expert" in their own mind. :wave: They were the smaller framed two of the four I had at the time, so I'm expecting hanging weights around 750 each for the next two. I just sold the last side. $2931 for two animals I paid $398 for......

The other two are already more than paid for.....

What have the doubters here learned? Probably not much. :nod:

Good on ya :tiphat:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I do kinda doubt that they'll hang at 600lb each, but the camera could well be playing tricks on me.. you might be able to make money taking pictures of people with that camera though :p... Take a picture of me and I won't even be visible though

The steers do look good though with good meat

And the steer when he's smaller does look like 240 to me

3waycross":9am7jsdd said:
and they qualify for CAB don't forget that when you advertise them for freezer beef. :mrgreen:
Those calve qualify for CAB ? Why because their GLA(generic live angus) until the hide is off and they recive quality grade in the upper 2/3's of choice those calves do not qualify for CAB.

Chi496":3oa15ka6 said:
3waycross":3oa15ka6 said:
and they qualify for CAB don't forget that when you advertise them for freezer beef. :mrgreen:
Those calve qualify for CAB ? Why because their GLA(generic live angus) until the hide is off and they recive quality grade in the upper 2/3's of choice those calves do not qualify for CAB.

The little green emoticon means I was joking ;-) ............I sell against CAB all the time. I am pretty sure I know what the specs are. :cowboy:

Well done sirloin, glad you did well with them. Although I wasn't part of the conversation about the protein (as far as I can remember) it certainly won't hurt your results, but it adds to the cost which may not be completely offset by the added performance, resulting in lower profit margins.

SirLoin":2inwbl0q said:
Ferrisgeorge":2inwbl0q said:
Sir Loin
Based on your previous posts I know I can learn a lot from your wisdom. Would you please go over the math regarding the economics of your steer venture. In your post you seem to state that you have about 2200 tied up in feed and cost and then you sell it for 2.10 a lb hanging. If the steer does weigh 1150 at slaughter I don't see the profit.
Thanks

Just so you know, there are at least 2 different SirLoins here, (the other is Sir Loin) and I've been roundly criticized as an idiot who "pi$$es money away" feeding undersized steers a higher bypass protein diet than some "experts" here say I should. No matter that now a major university study says that feeding undersized stock a high bypass protein diet is economically beneficial. I mean who cares whut them thar guys with all of that citified lurnin has to say :roll: Why just last fall, many here laughed at my "crummy stock" that I had purchased for a buck a pound............., he who laughs last and all :lol2:

What was your source of by-pass protein?

Latest posts