A couple of GV heifer pics .

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE":n7c2d9ya said:
If you only have two months, you can and need to push them hard, there is hardly any risk that you'll get them too fat in two months. As a breeder, taking undercooked animals to a show will do more to hurt your program than 2 overfat heifers ever could. Showing is like being pregnant, either you are or you aren't. Go all the way and win or don't go at all.

I agree with Knersie on this...especially if this is a two purpose show (kids and promoting your program). Yes, they're healthy looking, but not "show ready" yet. The red heifer is looking very good, and the black has some catching up to do. Two months of feed will put some bloom on them. If promoting your program, be in it to win it.

Hillsdown. I like them both. The blk maybe a little more feminine and the red is more of a powerhouse. To me the red is what a Gelbvieh heifer should look like.

:tiphat: good luck on them both. Knersie is probably right I don't think you can push them too hard right now

Thanks everyone !

I don't know how I can push them anymore than I am . They are on full feed , free choice dairy ration calf starter , they can eat as much as they want all day long .

I am giving them second cut alfalfa but was wondering if I should limit that so they eat more grain ? BUT I don't want to burn them out with acidosis .

Any other suggestions to get them eating more than their fair share ? :? :D
I might be able to get ahold of soy pellets !!!

They also has access to creep feed while they were with their dams out on pasture , the red one took full advantage of it , the blk really liked her milk . I think she will catch up quickly , her mom and twin aunt are very long ,deep and thick and her sire is a freight train .

Thanks CB1 and GR !!

Heading into the deepfreeze tomorrow so that will definitely help their appetite . Will post more pics at the end of the month .

Nesikep":1cypke1q said:
hehe, "the cold part"? Oh, thanks for narrrowing it down for me..

Like you being in the high part of Colorado.. Gotcha :)

Not quite the same my friend. We are 7000ft high and in a very protected valley. Yes it does get cold here. I have seen and felt 40 below. However Fall really starts in another month here and spring comes in late March. Altitude can be overcome, latitude cannot! ;-)

Latest posts