A couple of GV heifer pics .

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
We made the final pick of the two 2014 heifer calves that will be going to show in November . Lots to be done to get them ready and not much time to get it done . They were weaned yesterday afternoon and had a rough night . Have a ton to figure out how I am going to do things especially if when the weather gets really cold and lots of snow . :roll:
DOB 03/07
Dam is an Ozz Ideal Direction daughter and the Sire is a Sir Arnold son

DOB 03/05
Dam is a Freedom Fog daughter and the sire is a McCoy signature son.

I really like the looks of the top one, even if she does have a snoot full of feed. LOL

They're both pretty girls,I especially like the color of the 2nd one, but I find that top one to be a real looker.

Thanks Katherine ! :tiphat:

The are actually are very consistent and in fact the red one is longer bodied has a longer hip than the blk .

My nephew will also be showing one of the heifers in the 4H showmanship category in Nov. They are really nice calm girls , and I can already do a lot with them even after a only day, especially the blk one . She is out of the dam that his 4H show steer Ace was out of and that fella was bomb proof .

I can't put my finger on why, but it's not just the black color that makes me not like the first one all that much, perhaps its the length?... I'd take the second one any day though, she's my type.

That steer looks a lot like most of my 3/4 GV steers I have.. Some coincidence Our GV bull was called "Arnold" too... I have a feeling lots of GV's get that name!

Hope they all do well for you!

Nesikep":zgzfv6ki said:
I can't put my finger on why, but it's not just the black color that makes me not like the first one all that much, perhaps its the length?... I'd take the second one any day though, she's my type.

That steer looks a lot like most of my 3/4 GV steers I have.. Some coincidence Our GV bull was called "Arnold" too... I have a feeling lots of GV's get that name!

Hope they all do well for you!
Thanks Nesi

Sir Arnold is a very well known AI sire !

All of our bulls that we use are from AI .

The blk one is very long too .

They are all nice HD. But I am with Nesi, I like the red heifer better. I like her hip angle and thickness better. :D
With that said, they will do a lot of growing and changing between now and Nov.. So keep posting pictures!

Those are great looking calves. When I first looked at the black one, I saw the second picture. I thought it was two different calves and kept thinking, they look identical.
It took me a minute to figure it out.
I think they are all good choices and they will do great.

Thanks BCG and Chuckie !! :tiphat:

We will see how they do now that they are weaned and how they grow . Do not want to push them too hard as I want a viable heifer next year to breed . In 6 days I will estrumate and dex them both as I am sure they are bred already , love the early maturing breeds :roll: that may set them back a bit .

Good news is school is back in and hubby leaves for work overseas for a couple of weeks so I have my days free and can give these gals 100% of my time ! ;-)

I'm sure you know that the way to their heart is through their stomach! Having goodies with you sure goes a long way making friends (and not just with animals). Getting that itch is the other method, but I've only tested it on animals.

I wouldn't bet on them being bred, but they may be darned close. Last year 3 of my GV sired heifers came into heat at 181 days old on the button. Thankfully the 2 of them I kept as replacements weren't around the bull anymore, So instead I got to hear them bawling every 18 days for the next 8 months, and their pen is 40 feet from my bedroom.

Nesikep":1glibr2v said:
I'm sure you know that the way to their heart is through their stomach! Having goodies with you sure goes a long way making friends (and not just with animals). Getting that itch is the other method, but I've only tested it on animals.

I wouldn't bet on them being bred, but they may be darned close. Last year 3 of my GV sired heifers came into heat at 181 days old on the button. Thankfully the 2 of them I kept as replacements weren't around the bull anymore, So instead I got to hear them bawling every 18 days for the next 8 months, and their pen is 40 feet from my bedroom.

Not too worried about training them , they are already calm . I am getting halters on them tomorrow . However I do not want to push the feed too hard , and 2 months doesn't leave much leg room BUT I am sure I can do it .

Mine have heats at 3-4 months and I already saw the Pure Power 2014 bull calf breed at least 4 in his group in July . That is why we estrumate and dex all at weaning,.

I missed a heifer last year and she calved at 14 months old, she was 5 months when she was bred and the only bull in with them at that time was 5&1/2 months old . The only heifer calf we missed out of 23 ,my bad luck or a very fertile herd . Judging by our calving seasons I would say they are a very fertile group . :cowboy:

I know that what I like, and what does well at shows are two different things, but I think the second one in particular is a good animal and seems to be in good shape. You certainly know what you're doing with them.

I don't like it when they come into heat TOO early, just for that reason, but if they're cycling by about christmas or so I think that's healthy. Of the 4 heifers I kept last year, the smaller frame 3 settled on the first cycle, and the larger one on the 2nd, she was also the last to start cycling, somewhere in march I think it was.

They are both nice heifers HD. Yeh they are different. That first one is going to grow into a very roomy cow and I like roomy cows. The red one has some length and is nicely rounded in the rear end and I think would attract the attention in the show ring.
Ken

hillsdown":lz0sd185 said:
Thanks Ken !
Brangus CG ,I will post pics again in a month , once they are on full feed .

:tiphat:
Great! Will look forward to it HD. :D
I think that steer is going to blossom also!

If you only have two months, you can and need to push them hard, there is hardly any risk that you'll get them too fat in two months. As a breeder, taking undercooked animals to a show will do more to hurt your program than 2 overfat heifers ever could. Showing is like being pregnant, either you are or you aren't. Go all the way and win or don't go at all.

Latest posts