A bit of Trivia

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
A 1 ton car can get up to 50 mi per gal of gasoline.

A 1 ton car put on a railroad car can get up to 497 mi equivalent on 1 gal gasoline.

I heard this the other day. I think a better comparision would be how many miles a gallon per ton by semi's then passenger cars in comparision to the rail.

Auctionboy, YUP! there it is 8) a Semi hauling say 20 tons, IS at least 10 times more efficient then say, 20 pickups carrying 1 ton, not counting the labor involved. And the railroads are at least 10 time more efficient then the Semis. You know the USA once had the complex rail system in place, may have to go back to it. :welcome:

As a matter of fact, there are several areas in the country that are trying to return to the rail system. With the price of fuel, I think we will see a lot more of it. Just my opinion of course.

With the free market economy if it will save money or make money don't count it out.

I would bet that if there were double tracks parallel with each Interstate highway that 3/4 of the semis could be taken off the roads and save enough fuel to drive down the cost considerably.

I think you underestimate the Aribs! They would cut production if that happend, they stand together agaist the west! $2.00 gallon wont ever happen again, unless they make a hydrogen car.

Cabo":3achw12c said:
I would bet that if there were double tracks parallel with each Interstate highway that 3/4 of the semis could be taken off the roads and save enough fuel to drive down the cost considerably.

I have had this idea for years. Makes sense, I think.

Trucks have a tremendous advantage in, they travel on public roads paid for by tax dollars. RR are private and not only have to build, maintain there own but are taxed commercial real estate taxes on land and buildings owned by RR.

The interesting thing is, We had the RR infrastructure in place. abandoned it for highway travel.

auctionboy":nn4qii74 said:
I think you underestimate the Aribs! They would cut production if that happend, they stand together agaist the west! $2.00 gallon wont ever happen again, unless they make a hydrogen car.

OPEC would have to increase production, because the price of crude would drop. They've come to depend on oil revenue.

whatsupdoc3":sfpif1kw said:
mnmtranching":sfpif1kw said:
Trucks have a tremendous advantage in, they travel on public roads paid for by tax dollars. RR are private and not only have to build, maintain there own but are taxed commercial real estate taxes on land and buildings owned by RR.

The interesting thing is, We had the RR infrastructure in place. abandoned it for highway travel.

Again the tracks were pulled because they were taxed into having to abandon tacks. I.C.G. AND OTHERS WENT UNDER before they could abandon enough tracks.

YUP, :cry2:

What was it that Reagan said about the menatlity of big government?

If it works - tax it.
It it keep working - regulate it.
If it slows down - subsidize it.

Reagan was a smart cookie. I wonder how many other industries have been strangled due to the unwanted help.

Latest posts