90HP Tractor - Kubota vs John Deere

Help Support CattleToday:

rv@L&R

Reaction score
I'm in the market this spring for a used 90HP tractor ... I've got a 31 horse Kubota small tractor that I really like. I'm interested in comments and advice from any of you that have used BOTH brands ... reliability, maintenance, ease of use or whatever other criteria you would think important to you. Thanks.

rv@L&R":b6r9q0dd said:
I'm in the market this spring for a used 90HP tractor ... I've got a 31 horse Kubota small tractor that I really like. I'm interested in comments and advice from any of you that have used BOTH brands ... reliability, maintenance, ease of use or whatever other criteria you would think important to you. Thanks.

which has the closest dealer and best service for breakdowns and parts....

Here's a little more info ... I plan to buy and keep it a long time. Most common uses:
1. Shredding
2. Loader work
3. Feeding cattle ... moving and stacking rolls
4. Discing
5. Spraying

Here's the reason for the question. It seems to me that I can buy more tractor for the money with Kubota models (both used and new). The only difference I see with the two brands is the weight on the JD is heavier. I have access to good dealers and service for both. If I was really going to resell it or trade it in sometime in the future, maybe the JD would pay for itself in resale value. But if I keep it "forever", it appears the Kubota is the better buy. Same or better quality, same or better service. If I'm missing anything else, appreciate your views.

rv@L&R":kz3xgfn4 said:
Here's a little more info ... I plan to buy and keep it a long time. Most common uses:
1. Shredding
2. Loader work
4. Discing
5. Spraying

Here's the reason for the question. It seems to me that I can buy more tractor for the money with Kubota models (both used and new). The only difference I see with the two brands is the weight on the JD is heavier. I have access to good dealers and service for both. If I was really going to resell it or trade it in sometime in the future, maybe the JD would pay for itself in resale value. But if I keep it "forever", it appears the Kubota is the better buy. Same or better quality, same or better service. If I'm missing anything else, appreciate your views.

Looks like it may come to personal preference and the checkbook...The JD's are hard to beat and the thing about heavier is typically that means a little better built tractor, and in the feild work you'll appreciat the extra weight for a little added traction...just my thought :roll:

your welcome

always make sure you are comparing Apples to Apples
Just remember you can get the low end utility tractor or the high end tractor in the same horsepower class in alot of these brands but THEY ARE NOT the same tractor.
For example the 6403 jd 98 hp vs 6430 jd 95 hp these tractors are not created equal

Also on the kubota from friends and family that have them
No weight (tends to hop with out finding weight for field work)
To small of a pto clutch pack (replaced w' less than 1000 hrs)
Cheap tires (titan)
temp runs hotter than "normal" mark on larger tractors

On the John Deere a friend is a jd Mechanic watch out for any model starting with a "6" they keep showing up in the shop

So do your homework, know what you are willing to pay for and what you want to do with it.
I did my homework 4 months ago and ended up with a Massey Ferguson of all things, the local dealers and price had alot to do with it

I made this comparison 4 yrs ago.

I bought the Deere, for the resale.
The 6*15 series got my attention. You can get the Quad Range 16 speed with a reverser--great tranny with literally millions of hours in service. That, and the easier mount/park on the loader tipped the scales for me. I paid a couple thousand more for the Deere v a near identical Kubota. The Kubota had a nicer cab.

I don't think either one is a bad choice. When considering tractors I have to consider whether the manufacturer will be in business and supporting those tractors 30 yrs from now. I started with Fords, then Masseys. When the inevitable shakeouts followed the 70's boom it got real hard to get parts for the Masseys. Downtime waiting for a part will just kill a farmer. You know Deere will be around. Kubota looks more and more like a Toyota in farm tractors.

Whatever you decide, check dealer prices and used values on similar tractors to the one you want.

I'd rule out the 03 and 05 series Deere. Deere has determined they have to have a price competitive model and 03 and 05 are the answers. The 15's are built in Germany just like the 20's and 30's. When I wake up rich and naked in Vegas I'm going to get a 30 series. 95 HP and smarter than a good dog.

rv@L&R":2h2x9lsy said:
1. Shredding
2. Loader work
4. Discing
5. Spraying

I have a 15 year old 40 hp Kubota. I have abused it terribly on contruction sites. It has held up very good.
But I bought a new 6415 last year because of the weight. I think when I compared them it weighed about a ton more. I need the weight because I live in hilly country, and I don't want my Baler pushing me down a big slope.

Florida cattle":9k4pd16v said:
your welcome

always make sure you are comparing Apples to Apples
Just remember you can get the low end utility tractor or the high end tractor in the same horsepower class in alot of these brands but THEY ARE NOT the same tractor.
For example the 6403 jd 98 hp vs 6430 jd 95 hp these tractors are not created equal

Also on the kubota from friends and family that have them
No weight (tends to hop with out finding weight for field work)
To small of a pto clutch pack (replaced w' less than 1000 hrs)
Cheap tires (titan)
temp runs hotter than "normal" mark on larger tractors

On the John Deere a friend is a jd Mechanic watch out for any model starting with a "6" they keep showing up in the shop

So do your homework, know what you are willing to pay for and what you want to do with it.
I did my homework 4 months ago and ended up with a Massey Ferguson of all things, the local dealers and price had alot to do with it
One of my tractors is a M9000 Kubota. I have not had any problems with it with 600 hours on the meter. I have used it like a dozer to clear 75 acres of solid mesquite. I bought it new with Goodyear tires on it,Never had an issue with it running hotter than normal or any problems with the PTO. I have pulled all types of equipment with it and don't see the issue with the lighter weight. I can lift an 1800 lb. round bale without any weight on the rear of the tractor with no fear of the tractor tipping. I think Kubota makes a fine product as does JD and other but sometimes you pay for brand recognition.

Angus/Brangus":2z1bj7l5 said:
Water in the tires + wheel weights = a lot cheaper than a JD with little warranty, IMHO. Although, some of the higher HP JD's still might be worth their weight in gold depending on where they are produced and how. I wouldn't mind having one of the older 4020's. I understand they are indestructable.

WHeel wates and water make a HUGE difference when it comes to working the ground. I agree... KB with water and weights. :D :D

IF you go back to the Mid-late 90s JDs then that is a good weighted tractor. Alot of those will out pull tractors with alot more HP just because of weight.

we've all made some pretty good points, but rv@l&r has to buy a tractor that fits him and his operation. We all have our opinions and what has worked and not worked for us.

like I said earlier apples to apples

Money what am I paying for and what do I have to pay extra for because the little stuff can add up (extra lights, weights etc.) Or do I really need this option or is it just a want?

What am I using it for (to work or impress the neighbors)

Dealer reputation (shady or stands by his work)

These are just some of the things I'd consider to be smart shopping and doing my homework

I would take the John Deere the front end seem to have problems when you put a loder on them Besides I like the shifting pattern better on the Deere
Brute 23":2qsqdogy said:
Angus/Brangus":2qsqdogy said:
Water in the tires + wheel weights = a lot cheaper than a JD with little warranty, IMHO. Although, some of the higher HP JD's still might be worth their weight in gold depending on where they are produced and how. I wouldn't mind having one of the older 4020's. I understand they are indestructable.

WHeel wates and water make a HUGE difference when it comes to working the ground. I agree... KB with water and weights. :D :D

IF you go back to the Mid-late 90s JDs then that is a good weighted tractor. Alot of those will out pull tractors with alot more HP just because of weight.

Well, most on here know me as a Massey man but recently I have started looking more closely at the JD's. When I started looking for a replacement utility tractor I started comparing the JD and Massey of equal size. To my surprise I discovered the JD was almost the same price as the MF. I am really considering going green due to the dealer being much closer than the MF dealer.

I will never buy a Kubota.

Latest posts