9 month old heifer with swollen vagina

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
I've got a 8 to 9 month old heifer with a swollen vagina, almost like when a cow gets loose in he hind end just before calving. It doesn't seem to be bleeding or weaping but it quit obvious, if I could figure out how to post picture from my phone I would but I seem to be having trouble with that. Don't know if maybe she dukd be trying to prolapse or if something else is going on. The adult bulls were taken out in Sept. But there are still sibling bulls/steers amongst them but I haven't seen any riding. She's up and walking around, doesn't seem to be in any sort of discomfort.
Any ideas?

Doubt you will see any riding as you probably have a pregnant 9 month old heifer on your hands.

Well that's awesome....... So then whatz could she be about to miscarry and she'll justice spit out whatever is in there

Could be in heat.
Can't see a pregnancy being far enough along to cause vulval swelling - though it's possible.
Could be an allergic reaction to something.

If she's not in distress I wouldn't worry about it.
At that age, with access to entire bulls it's safe to make the presumption that she's either pregnant or will be soon.

Latest posts