9 mm your suggestions- update

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I'm looking at another handgun, I will buy a 9mm, not any other caliber, any suggestions on which one to buy, and why.

Thanks,
Alan

Lot depends on whether it is for periodic whacking varmits (or) for self-defense carry. Go with the best for SD carry.

I have a S&W M&P 9mm for summer carry (easier to conceal) and a Baretta .40 for cool/cold weather carry. The Baretta is full size 96FS (the 9 mm equiv. is 92FS) both have same frame size.

My 9mm is a compact. Compacts require a much more secure grip than the full size frames. In the S-A due to weight and "leverage" of the barrel for cycling. "Limp wristing" of the 9mm, .40 or .45 will cause the handgun to jam (failure to eject).

Other excellent choices are the H&K, Springfield Arms, Walther, Para Ordnance, etc. If you like the profile of the "1911" frames (a variety of manufactures have this option), those are other good choices.

Caveat: I'd avoid anything cheaper than $500 new as well as buying any used or pawn shop gun.

If you're very alert and safety conscious, you can't go wrong with a Glock. However, Glocks have little room for carelessness or shooter error...no external safety...only the "trigger safety" (which is an oxymoron, IMO)...lol.

As far as SD ammo is concerned, I use the Hornady Critical Defense ammo...expensive, but extremely reliable and all. All things considered, you get what you pay for in ammo or handguns...

:cowboy:

I would add Sig to the list, probably my first choice of any of them.

GLOCK G17, G19 compact, G26 baby sub compact. I have found glocks to be foolproof,no offense meant. Have fun chosing, all guns are good,some just better than others.

I DON'T KNOW FOR WHAT PURPOSE YOU ARE PLANNING TO CARRY THE 9MM, BUT YOU HAVE A WIDE VARIETY NOWADAYS, SOMETIMES THE CHOICES SEEM ENDLESS. FOR SELF DEFENSE THE 40 CAL IS A FAR SUPERIOR WEAPON. THIS HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED IN NUMEROUS TESTS. I PERSONALLY CARRY A GLOCK 27 - AS HIGHGRIT WROTE, IT IS NEARLY FOOLPROOF, WELL MADE AND VERY RELIABLE. RA BILL MADE, I THINK, AN INTERESTING SUGGESTION OF THE BERRETA. THERE HAVE BEEN SOME BAD RAPS ON THE BERRETA FROM PEOPLE THAT USE THEM ON A REGULAR BASIS AND FIRE ALOT OF ROUNDS THROUGH THEM. I CARRIED ONE (THE 40 CAL MODEL) FOR SEVERAL YEARS HAVING FIRED THOUSANDS OF ROUNDS THROUGH IT WITH NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER. I PERSONALLY CONSIDER IT TOO, A VERY RELIABLE WEAPON FOR SELF DEFENSE AS IS THE SIG, BUT THE SIG IS IN A CLASS ALL BY ITSELF. I JUST DON'T THINK THE PRICE OF A SIG CAN BE JUSTIFIED TO SHOOT 9MM ROUNDS THROUGH IT. BY THE WAY, THE MOST CONCEALABLE AND RELIABLE HANDGUN THAT I STILL OFTEN CARRY IS MY DEPENDABLE OLD COLT DETECTIVE SPECIAL IN 38 CAL WITH +P+ AMMO. GOOD LUCK AND LET US KNOW WHAT YOU COME UP WITH....

The best ones that I have seen seem to be the Smith and Wessons, but Glocks and Sigs are pretty much on an equal plane. I own a SiG myself. After that the other brands all seem to be down a level as far as reliability to feed ammo, trigger pull etc. I would look at those three brands and within those models see what gun fits your hand for grip and ease of control usage such as being able to rack the slide, slide lock, magazine lock. Have a neighbor that brought over a S &W 9 mm with a particular grip and as I shot it I noticed that because of the grip the recoil acted to open my hand. So make sure the grip allows you to be able to lock your hand around it well.

I have a Ruger P89 in 9mm.
I don't prefer autos. I prefer big frame revolvers but I got the P89 when I was on the road alot.

I have not put thousands of rounds thru it but I found it to be fairly accurate at the distances you would use such a gun for and not as expensive as some of the others suggested.

I am not a gun professional and don't use one in my daily work but this is one that lives on the night stand in one of our bedrooms.

My 44 magnum Redhawk lives on the nightstand beside where I sleep.

I've been happy with the Rugers as well. Autos aren't my thing but since they were going to outlaw them with the Brady Bill, I stocked up. Then they repealed the Brady bill. The 15 round model has too narrow of a grip for the boss lady so I got her one with an 8 or 9 round and slim handle, also in Ruger which she picked out based on fit.

What are you buying it for Alan?
My defensive needs are looked after by another calibre, or should I say guage, so if I was to buy another 9mm I would like something cool! ( I have a sweet shooting Walther P-38 with all the nazi stuff on it and the holster ).

Neat Choices ( just to have and shoot )
#1 - Browning High Power ( SAS chaps endorse it )
#2 - Luger Para

Now if it is defensive or has to go bang everytime, putting effective hits on evil doers - Sig P-226 - I wore 2 of these out on someone elses nickle. Just check to make sure you can manipulate all functions without changing your primary grip, it is a large weapon.( Gun fit is huge, and I am not a fan of DAO for someone who is going to practise ).

That being said I kicked the pants off a group of "paid proffessionals"on a weapons course with a loaned on short notice Glock 19, and although I never wore it for duty or put that many rounds ( less than 2000 rounds ) through it - a very nice compact.

Enjoy whatever you choose Alan!

AngusLimoX":e9t21dmf said:
3waycross":e9t21dmf said:
Springfield XDM as sweet of a handgun as I have ever shot.

Any military or police using them yet 3 way?
To be honest I really don't know. I have had 2 in 40cal and they shoot extremely well and are just about foolproof. The take down easy and are a cinch to clean.

If I could stop buying cows long enuf I would buy a compact XD in 9mm for concealed carry.

3waycross":338bk6hz said:
AngusLimoX":338bk6hz said:
3waycross":338bk6hz said:

Any military or police using them yet 3 way?
To be honest I really don't know. I have had 2 in 40cal and they shoot extremely well and are just about foolproof. The take down easy and are a cinch to clean.

If I could stop buying cows long enuf I would buy a compact XD in 9mm for concealed carry.

Thanks 3 way, never had my mitts on one. I like someone else to do the R+D if my butt has to depend on it. :D

3waycross":3ce7arm7 said:

I've done some research on most of the suggested hand guns, thanks to all. The XDM looks like a sweet gun and some group (?) has the .40 listed in the worlds top ten for accuracy and dependability, I'm sure the 9mm is no less accurate or dependable .... And 19 round clips just for fun :D .

Thanks again,
Alan

Alan":2a5a7pnt said:
3waycross":2a5a7pnt said:

I've done some research on most of the suggested hand guns, thanks to all. The XDM looks like a sweet gun and some group (?) has the .40 listed in the worlds top ten for accuracy and dependability, I'm sure the 9mm is no less accurate or dependable .... And 19 round clips just for fun :D .

Thanks again,
Alan

It also comes with interchangeable rear grips for different size hands.

Alan":14er5jyi said:
3waycross":14er5jyi said:

Thanks again,
Alan

Don't forget the field report!! Beat up those ole barrells some more! :D

3waycross":1wwwgth6 said:

Looked a few 9's and fell in love with the XDM, picked one up last week, "sweet" is the perfect word for this handgun. Fits my hand perfect, nice feel and weight.....and yea, two 19 round clips.

Thanks for all the advice,
Alan

I am really glad you like it. I was sure you would.

Now have some fun :banana: :banana:

3waycross":56e6vtn9 said:

Best listen to ol' 3way. He's dodged bullets from about every type gun out there and knows his stuff. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":t3vkczka said:
3waycross":t3vkczka said:

Best listen to ol' 3way. He's dodged bullets from about every type gun out there and knows his stuff. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Thank the Lord most people talk better than they shoot or I'd be a gonner by now. :help: