Rain Gear Suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

76 Bar

Reaction score
Would like input from those who spend considerable time in deluge situations, your recommendations and positives/negatives. FYI used Helly Hanson pvc coated outfits for years. No question it kept me dry but hated the restriction of movement & stiffness. Moved on to Viking...a joke. I'm all ears. TIA

What are you using it for? The stuff at Cabellas is very good for colder weather.

I am not sure where your at but look around on the bass fishing forums in your area, The guys that fish a lot, will know what works. Don't be afraid to buy something used. My cold weather gear is a Cabellas brand of goretex type material. I bought it used for about $100. New it was around $300.
Its usually best to buy it larger than you think you need.

Like bird dog said, depends on what you need it for.

Grundens , very tough and will keep you dry. Jacket sleeves have a rubber gasket at wrist.

Carhartt have the same gasket at wrists and are tough also.

Helly Hansen will keep you dry, but if you do anything overhead you'll get water down the sleeve.

I have yet to find a gortex set that will keep me dry all day doing construction.

Or any that will hold up to rebar :lol2:

If it's a cold windy rain, this. https://www.kaiwakaclothing.co.nz/produ ... ter-jacket

Run the exchange rate before you chit a brick. I've done plenty of full days in the rain without a leak anywhere. The long tail in the back is so you can sit in a tractor/skidsteer seat without soaking your pants. Might look a little goofy if you're walking downtown, but pretty handy in the real world.

I have an LL Bean rain coat. It hardly rains here, but I used it quite a bit back in Maine. It's lasted 13 years and is in good shape still. I remember it not being much more than $70. Only problem with it is that it's just a rain layer. It will keep you dry, but not warm, and if it's humid out you'll know it.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/514958? ... lsrc=aw.ds

Thanks for the suggestions! Really appreciate your response.
I'm located in the Pacific Northwest. Staying dry when doing farm chores (feeding etc), typically on an ATV can be a challenge. Typically not bitter cold but plenty wet (50-60 inches annually). Yes, believer in choosing a size to facilitate "layering". Love real deal Fleece from Malden Mills.

No question the heavy duty PVC stuff will keep you dry but mobility and ventilation are an issue. After years of putting up with it, thought the Viking suit would fit the bill but it fell short of the mark on several accounts. Purportedly water proof coated fabric. Jacket works fine but rain penetrates your knees when bent while riding the ATV & walking/feeding. Another thing I overlooked...the shoulder straps can't be adjusted small enough to keep the damn things where they belong and worse still, they're sewn on e.g. option for easy replacement was obviously overlooked.

Will do more research into the "Frogg's". Met somebody years ago wearing a suit who raved about them...indicated no matter what she was dry as a bone. Kinda looked and felt like Tyvec back then.

I know Grunden's and others have traditionally had a great reputation. As on the earlier jeans thread, worrisome some may have subsequently failed to live up to their reputation.

Unlike in my previous stomping grounds, now graced with several out door out fitters relatively near by...Cabella's/Bass, REI, Dicks etc and of course the internet opens up the world.

Yes very windy & rainy. Oh my...that's some kinda New Zealand rain coat! Be still my :heart: :lol: Alas too damn old to consider it!

Really appreciate the suggestions thus far. Your input is far more meaningful & enlightening than the suspect stuff on commercial sites...thanks.

Farm Fence Solutions":e7u0cx5t said:
If it's a cold windy rain, this. https://www.kaiwakaclothing.co.nz/produ ... ter-jacket

Run the exchange rate before you chit a brick..
Still pretty expensive:

It's really rare that I ever wear any kind of rain gear.
Unless it's just terribly cold, I just wear a coat and take the rain as it comes.

An Australian once told me the Kiwis keep the lower front of all their winter clothing open like that so they can still get to the sheep........
I'm not sure what he meant......

greybeard":1zmhatq7 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1zmhatq7 said:

Run the exchange rate before you chit a brick..
Still pretty expensive:

It's really rare that I ever wear any kind of rain gear.
Unless it's just terribly cold, I just wear a coat and take the rain as it comes.

An Australian once told me the Kiwis keep the lower front of all their winter clothing open like that so they can still get to the sheep........
I'm not sure what he meant......

First time I heard that one, I was kicking the slats out of the cradle.

Seems dirt cheap to me, but I like something that works and lasts. Kind of like a Yeti cooler. I'm half a decade into one, and I haven't bought another one since. Back in my $30 cooler days, it was a new one once a month.

I have some of the carhart water proof jackets, a set of their big water proof coveralls, a couple gortex jackets like mentioned above. They all have their purpose. Rarely can I find one item for all occasions.

I do agree with buying quality... especially when talking about working cold and wet.

After years of falling timber in areas of the PNW with 100-200 inch rainfall I can tell you the stuff that really keeps you dry from the rain will cause you to sweat enough that you will be just as wet. Grundens are pretty good but stiff. Most of us wore Water Shed. It did a pretty good job yet was inexpensive enough that when they ripped it wasn't a big deal. They are light enough to be flexible. For those light drizzle days I preferred Filson "tin pants". The double knee style. They will hold out the moisture, yet they breath. That with a light Water Shed rain coat seemed to work best for me on about half the time. If you buy tin pants get them about 4 inches too big as they will shrink up on you.
My real solution was to move to the high desert in Eastern Oregon. A 10 inch average rainfall is so much nicer. The moss growing on my back has died off. The webbing between my toes is slowly going away. I have been here for over 4 months and there have only been 4 days with measurable precipitation. It is like heaven.

Thanks for the additional input Dave. Relocated from 40 years in Humboldt Co CA a few years ago & knew a few loggers. :) 120-150 inches out Honeydew way & northward in parts of Smith River could be depressing rain wise. Will check out Water Shed. Congrats on your relocation. Pretty country.
Thanks for the chuckle BB. :lol:
Hopefully a few more will eventually chime in.

I have lately been using a basic plastic poncho....turns water well...can dress under it according to the temperature...mine has snaps on it so I can close the sides but I like it better just open so the air can move. I used it a week or so ago in a pouring rain and stayed pretty dry in an hour of doing evening chores...