84212 fixed knot fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Search brought me to this thread, what's the advantage of fixed knot over the old style woven wire other than price?

SDM":3n6xeb5e said:
Search brought me to this thread, what's the advantage of fixed knot over the old style woven wire other than price?

The wire itself can be more expensive, but the cost of installation is less. Increased post spacing and it goes up with less labor than hinge joint. It's also considerably more durable. The solid vertical stay makes it much stiffer.

SDM":1g4pfhdh said:

3 big differences between fixed knot woven (tornado, stay tuff, toughstrand) and old school low carbon stuff(red brand)

1. Class 3 galvanized- Rust typically doesn't start occurring until anywhere between 15 and 30 years. Class 1 can start rusting in under 5 years.
2. Fixed Knot- Much more durable, doesn't fold up like hinge joint woven, the vertical stays can't be moved. Over time the fence won't shift or sag.
3. High Tensile- Easy to stretch and stretches tight. Greater breaking strength, more durable for livestock pressure.

I'd say HT fixed knot wire easily has double the lifespan of low carbon class 1 wire. It costs more but you get what you pay for. :cboy:

Thank you. I should have been more clear. The ones I'm looking at are both high tensile and class III. I meant old style of attaching the vertical and horizontal lines.

fence_it":1yxhq53j said:
SDM":1yxhq53j said:

3 big differences between fixed knot woven (tornado, stay tuff, toughstrand) and old school low carbon stuff(red brand)

1. Class 3 galvanized- Rust typically doesn't start occurring until anywhere between 15 and 30 years. Class 1 can start rusting in under 5 years.
2. Fixed Knot- Much more durable, doesn't fold up like hinge joint woven, the vertical stays can't be moved. Over time the fence won't shift or sag.
3. High Tensile- Easy to stretch and stretches tight. Greater breaking strength, more durable for livestock pressure.

I'd say HT fixed knot wire easily has double the lifespan of low carbon class 1 wire. It costs more but you get what you pay for. :cboy:

There are Class I high tensile products on the market, and there are Class III low carbon products on the market. Another trick is to substitute 14 gauge wire into the vertical stays to make it look less expensive than the competitors. The variables in net wire can be a bit overwhelming, but like you said, you get what you pay for.
I'm headed out to build a Class III Fence top to bottom today. Now that's high class. Lol

Farm Fence Solutions":224581du said:
fence_it":224581du said:
SDM":224581du said:

There are Class I high tensile products on the market, and there are Class III low carbon products on the market. Another trick is to substitute 14 gauge wire into the vertical stays to make it look less expensive than the competitors. The variables in net wire can be a bit overwhelming, but like you said, you get what you pay for.
I'm headed out to build a Class III Fence top to bottom today. Now that's high class. Lol

Just finished up here. Bed full of dead soldiers came in last night.

This is motto. 20 years ago I helped my dad build quite a bit using this. Now I'm getting back into this world. A lot has changed, but I'm gravitating back to what I remember I guess. I've never seen tornado here. I'm not opposed to using it if it was available.

SDM":3skda30g said:
This is motto. 20 years ago I helped my dad build quite a bit using this. Now I'm getting back into this world. A lot has changed, but I'm gravitating back to what I remember I guess. I've never seen tornado here. I'm not opposed to using it if it was available.

Where is here?