840 Tags

Help Support CattleToday:

840 tags are free in most states at least for the time being. The metal NUES tags are being phased out. In 2-3 years the metal tags will not be recognized as official ID.
It's true APHIS wants to move to 840 official IDs. Do you have links or more information about which states offer free 840 tags? Until Jeanne - Simme Valley mentioned New York, I had not heard of it. All the information about New York's program is on New York Agriculture and Markets. To my knowledge, my state only offers free Scrapie tags for small ruminants.

And as some mentioned above, is against the law to remove them, but we know that they do get removed anyway.
What are some examples why people would remove 840 IDs? I don't understand why someone would. If I purchased or acquired an animal with 840 ID, that's the number I would use for the animal in my herd records. Anybody that doesn't keep records could just ignore the tag.

What are some examples why people would remove 840 IDs? I don't understand why someone would. If I purchased or acquired an animal with 840 ID, that's the number I would use for the animal in my herd records. Anybody that doesn't keep records could just ignore the tag.
I'm not aware of any reason an honest person would bother to remove them. Cattle traders cut them out to make it less obvious that cattle come from different herds or were purchased through a sale barn.

It's true APHIS wants to move to 840 official IDs. Do you have links or more information about which states offer free 840 tags? Until Jeanne - Simme Valley mentioned New York, I had not heard of it. All the information about New York's program is on New York Agriculture and Markets. To my knowledge, my state only offers free Scrapie tags for small ruminants.
I'm not sure if all states are offering free 840's. APHIS has allotted 840's to all states as far as I know. Missouri is on its second allotment of 50 thousand. Contact either your local large animal vet or state dep't of agriculture.

Trader cattle being represented as "farm fresh"

Cows that come back as Brucellosis suspect, the owner wants to make their traceability disappear.

Insurance fraud.

Selling cattle that have a lean on them.

Don't have an E.I.D. reader, so don't see the point of leaving that tag in their ear.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

While on the rfid subject, has anyone found a cheap handheld reader they like?
I use the cheap ones that pet shelters use. Cost a little over $100. They have bluetooth, but I doubt they communicate with a scale system.

I use the cheap ones that pet shelters use. Cost a little over $100. They have bluetooth, but I doubt they communicate with a scale system.
What model is that?

What model is that?
There are a few...
D-Think X10LF
*cheap
*only reads FDX (yellow buttons)
#won't read HDX (white buttons)
#no bluetooth / usb only

Another brand is Real Trace.
V8BT
*reads FDX & HDX
*bluetooth or usb

RT250BT
*reads FDX & HDX
*wand-type reader like other products in the USA
*bluetooth or usb

Both D-Think and Real Trace offer software that will download tag numbers from the tag reader memory.

Latest posts