RFID reader options for CCIA tags

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Im looking to add a cheap reader to my tool box. My operation does not warrant anything fancy like the big wand readers. amazon has a bunch of options in the sub 100dollar mark, just looking to be able to display the number Connect to computer would be nice but not critical. Easier then manually reading it out to my record keeper during processing.

Does anyone know the actual specs of the CCIA tags? Most of the cheap ones I have seen have specific frequencies, and data formats they handle.

Or if someone has used or tried an amazon/ebay reader. Have you had any luck with them?

This is the type of thing I am thinking of :

I'd like to know as well.. I figure you could make something with an Arduino, but the specs seems a little hard to find, I was looking on the CCIA website and all they have are links to really expensive stuff

To be honest, I have looked at a bunch of them on ebay too, I looked at the specs, and they seem to be the same frequency.

I held off and did not try any, because I went to a vet, who locally have readers for small animal microchips, the reader would beep and know the cattle RFID tags were there, but there is something in our tag that stopped the reader displaying the data.

The wands etc that are all up around a thousand bucks, are simply bleeding money from you in my op, these things are not some mysterious difficult thing to make.

PS ebay down here has a number of readers they claim work for livestock, they are all around the 25 to 50 buck mark & at our dollar .7 or so of the US, well, pretty cheap, worth trying at that amount, I might go order one :)

I don't understand why guys are so interested in blowing money to read the damn things. The tags are a never ending hole for throwing good money into. Only guys that I know that have the wands bought with government money grants for basically nothing. Wanna guess where they sit for 99-100% of the year? On a shelf in the basement. Taxpayer money blown on stupid junk.

RFID tags don't go in here until they are on the truck headed to market.

If you buy in animals, and the slacker sellers do not send the numbers, it is sure easier than trying to hold them still to read them visually....

We have to update a database so they can be tracked.

If you only have a hand ful manually may be ok, but sure makes it easier with a reader that has memory 😀

I just got a reply from the CCIA, the tags operate on 134.2 Khz

Maybe something like this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/134-2KHz-Pet-RFID-Chip-Reader-ISO11784-11785-FDX-B-Animal-Microchip-Scanner/264661148041?hash=item3d9f08a189:g:scEAAOSwROteZgDc

Yeah...I ordered similar....will take a while to get here due to corona....

I found they seem too encrypt the data on our rfid tags, so will be interesting to see if the item can actually display the data....

Not unlike the tractor thread, the companies want you to buy thier hellish expensive readers.....what annoys me is the govt works with them to be like this, instead of using an open known standard, my phones NFC reader should be able to read the tags, if the govt wants them to really be adopted.....

Hi All,

ours are supposed to be 134.2 and follow standards.

I got https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal-Handheld-RFID-Reader-Portable-Animal-Chip-Reader-Pet-Microchip-Scanner/153648713295?hash=item23c62d4e4f:g:QEkAAOSwXFNdgx6c

And, as I suspected, it cannot read any one of the 3 different brands of cattle RFID tags.

I am going to contact the authority here, I suspect they all know there is something done so that tags can only be read from the limited companies making them who have the market cornered. I smell a rat.

Some time ago I went to my vet and asked them if they could read tags, the reader they had picked up there was a chip, but could not display the data.

If someone buys a reasonable priced one from ebay and it works, can you please post here :)

Latest posts