8203U holden bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Wow his BW EPD really jumped!! I remember it being 4.5

I flushed a couple of cows to him last Spring before his BW went sky high. I have had 5 or 6 ET calves that were big calves 90 to 95 #'s but they are really good calves. You just have to get by the BWs. Don't know if I will use him much because of the BW.

I've had 8 calves out of him, and really like them. Mine were born unassisted which is more important than BW to me. Plus mine were not that big and I live in a cold part of the country.

Calves are not flashy but have volume and muscle. They are growing real well.

I was told that 1 or 2 places really hurt his number but should come down a bit with more data. In my opinion, you have to have BW to have WW and YW.

arrowhead":104jegnv said:
I've had 8 calves out of him, and really like them. Mine were born unassisted which is more important than BW to me. Plus mine were not that big and I live in a cold part of the country.

Calves are not flashy but have volume and muscle. They are growing real well.

I was told that 1 or 2 places really hurt his number but should come down a bit with more data. In my opinion, you have to have BW to have WW and YW.

And while you are bragging in the coffee shop with your high weaning weights and high yearling weights your neighbour sells a few more angus bulls. :bang:

That might happen in your 3rd world country, but the cattleman I deal with realize it's how the are made not what they weigh when they are born. I'm not talking 100#, but I am saying the 50# minitures you want don't pencil out. EPD's are a tool, not the bible!

arrowhead you may not want to start a war with Knersie about Herefords and his knowledge of them.
Even in his "3rd world" He raises the best Herefords I have ever seen. He surpasses both Coopers and Holdens. Yes I have been to both their places and we will let that dead dog lie right there.

In my world I want the actual weights at birth, weaning and yearling. I also want to see the dam and granddam and any other female in that line.
AHA went the wrong way when they changed the EPD's.
JMHO

I'm so sorry! please forgive me. I did'nt realize that opinions were taboo and misunderstood to the legends. So please enlighten me on which bulls I am allowed to use on my "so called" herefords, that are born unassisted, have vigor, grow, milk, have good udders and are easy to sell. Please tell me what the exact EPD pofile should be for my cattle and my customers. I never said Act BW was not important, but I will take an 90# unassisted over a 70# any day. My cows are not huge but have a pelvis that is large enough to calve a larger calf and breed back within 90 days. Knersie does not live here. He may or may not know my customers or my neighbors. I doubt I know his, but maybe I should.

JHH asked about 8203. I have some calves, and he can take my info any way he wants. I should have never voiced what I have lived in my time with cattle.

I luv herfrds":2w04ls41 said:
AHA went the wrong way when they changed the EPD's.
JMHO

Which change are you referring to?

And I agree with Harley, If you are after high growth, there are many other breeds that will do that to the extreme while sacrificing other traits. Herefords should not be bred that way.

Saw some resistance to a big birthweight at a Hereford sale yesterday-it definately is one of the biggest holdback to guys switching from Angus.

arrowhead sarcasm is unbecoming of you.
You're the one that started something not Knersie.
If you can't stand it, don't start it.

CPL when they changed to the point I no longer understand them. For the most part I ignore them. I look at the bull and what his heritage is.
I like CHA better. They list actual weighhts and I'm not trying to guess.

arrowhead":1mgosc4s said:
That might happen in your 3rd world country, but the cattleman I deal with realize it's how the are made not what they weigh when they are born. I'm not talking 100#, but I am saying the 50# minitures you want don't pencil out. EPD's are a tool, not the bible!

Well, well, doesn't that sound familiar! Welcome back!

If it was all about how they are made then tell me why holsteins have such a hard time calving their long narrow headed spaghetti like calves?

There is no need for 50 lb miniatures, but the breed as a whole need to get away from the 90+lb calves if we want to win the commercial customers' hearts back. How healthy a breed is is measured by how many bulls are sold to commercial farmers, not for how much the top seedstock guys sell bulls for to each other!

As a breeder you can either recognise a problem and try and rectify it or you can continue to try and bullshite yourself, but trying to bullshite your customers isn't good business in the long run.

I luv, you need to re-read who started what!

Knersie, your icon that you posted earlier is right on :bang: thats how I feel with you and luv. All I can say, :bs: Holsteins? Really? Hereford bull sales are at the highest ever and more and more commercial breeders are buying hereford bulls. Why? Breeders are listening. Not ever herd is the same and no I am not saying we need to compete with terminal breeds, but our customers do not have to sacrafice all their growth either. This was about 8203. I made a statement you obviously do not agree with. Fine, but repeat customers tell me I am listening, and am not all wrong. They may go buy an Angus, like you said, and I hope they do, because I know they will come back after they realize they made a mistake. They always do.

Funny how they always show their true selves so quickly Knersie. :lol2:

arrowhead you must not be able to read because I did twice before responding last night. You're the one with the chip on your shoulder and the attitude.
another reason people buy angus.

Knersie, again you know nothing about me and how well I do or how long I've been doing it. A simple I disagree instead of " while your bragging....... your losing customers". If thats what you think, fine. You are entitled.

Luv, never mind.

Bizin, You would be mistaken if you have seen me on here before. I have not. I just signed up because someone asked a question about a bull I have seen and used. I made the mistake of giving an opinion that really seems to have struck a nerve.

arrowhead":2if4r60t said:
Knersie, again you know nothing about me and how well I do or how long I've been doing it. A simple I disagree instead of " while your bragging....... your losing customers". If thats what you think, fine. You are entitled.

Luv, never mind.

Bizin, You would be mistaken if you have seen me on here before. I have not. I just signed up because someone asked a question about a bull I have seen and used. I made the mistake of giving an opinion that really seems to have struck a nerve.

You seem to think you know a lot about me?

Its not your opinion that struck a nerve, it's your obnoxiousness.

I know nothing about you. I'll be obnoxious, and you can be close minded. All comes out in the wash.

ga.prime, :nod:

Latest posts