8203U holden bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I'll add my two cents to this Hereford thread! :lol:

Arrowhead, thanks for your input regarding 8203U. Others may think you have a former CT identity, but I can't see any resemblance, so far. :?:

I really like 8203U - and I was really disappointed when his BW EPD jumped like it did. It moderated a little with this last EPD update, but he still looks like he's going to be a +7 or higher BW EPD bull.

I'd like to use him on a few cows, but I can't justify the expense of buying a semen package to use only on a handful of cows. I thought semen was going to be made more widely available, at an affordable price, when I saw an ad in a recent Texas Hereford magazine - but it turns out that ad was a mistake on the part of the THA.

I think your BW and WW, YW correlation comment has some merit. I know I've seen some threads on other boards I read where SOME Angus breeders have bemoaned the fact that stacking calving ease bulls on top of calving ease bulls has lead to breeding all the calving ease out of some cattle.

This was recently discussed in another thread and I posted that there's something to be said for moderation in all things.

That said, I doubt that 8203U ever qualifies as being moderate in the BW area.. I suspect his real value is going to be in his selected offspring where they inherit his great carcass qualiities but also have a MODERATE BW to pass along.

George

arrowhead":47oykqyk said:
I know nothing about you. I'll be obnoxious, and you can be close minded. All comes out in the wash.

ga.prime, :nod:
How you get I'm close minded? I'm just a casual observer. You be whatever you want and I'll be whatever I want, how about it? :D

ga.prime, :nod:[/quote]
How you get I'm close minded? I'm just a casual observer. You be whatever you want and I'll be whatever I want, how about it? :D[/quote]

My apologies ga.prime, I was not refering to you in that statement. I was just agreeing with your statement.

First off thanks arrowhead for replying to the thread. Next, I just said the bull interest's me, I dont think I will use him after talking to Jack Holden, and some other owners. I just cant get past the B.W.

And while he may not be a cow killer he still could cause some problems as far as calving I think.

arrowhead":3hh243v0 said:
I've had 8 calves out of him, and really like them. Mine were born unassisted which is more important than BW to me. Plus mine were not that big and I live in a cold part of the country.

Calves are not flashy but have volume and muscle. They are growing real well.

I was told that 1 or 2 places really hurt his number but should come down a bit with more data. In my opinion, you have to have BW to have WW and YW.

I have read and re-read this post 3 or 4 times, and I have yet to figure out where any of the "alledged" obnoxiousness and bragging is... The guy simply gave an opinion. Ya'll may know him from some other thing, but if not, then a few of you are feeling a little moody....LOL It's crap like this argument that turns people off.

I luv herfrds":2w9c4rsc said:
arrowhead sarcasm is unbecoming of you.
You're the one that started something not Knersie.
If you can't stand it, don't start it.

seriously? start this thread at the beginning and read it sentence by sentence and see if you determine where the mudslinging started.

On topic, this bull is simply going to be one of those bulls that fills a niche market. I'm not really keen on 90 lb calves on english breeds, but I'm just one person, and neither the smartest duck in the pond....nor the dumbest. The farm down the road will have a completely different set of opinions, and their reasons could be just as valid as mine...or more so.

Gators Rule":3yj2giz7 said:
arrowhead":3yj2giz7 said:
I've had 8 calves out of him, and really like them. Mine were born unassisted which is more important than BW to me. Plus mine were not that big and I live in a cold part of the country.

Calves are not flashy but have volume and muscle. They are growing real well.

I was told that 1 or 2 places really hurt his number but should come down a bit with more data. In my opinion, you have to have BW to have WW and YW.

I have read and re-read this post 3 or 4 times, and I have yet to figure out where any of the "alledged" obnoxiousness and bragging is... The guy simply gave an opinion. Ya'll may know him from some other thing, but if not, then a few of you are feeling a little moody....LOL It's crap like this argument that turns people off.
I would have to agree Gator.

Just something I would like to point out. A 90lb calf in Montana will most likely not be a 90lb calf here.
We dont stay cold as long or get as cold. And I doubt I feed anything like Holden's.Here My cows just get Hay and mineral and an occasional lick tub ( more in cold weather) and I do give them a little corn at least once a week. Still probably wont use the bull. BUT he still interest's me. I think he does alot of things good and few bad.

The only real way to know is to breed 20 or 30 cows to him. Any less and you really don't get much of a picture of how he's going to be-a two or three head conclusion doesn't tell a person much.

Latest posts