80 degrees brings Sunbathing and Swimming

Help Support CattleToday:

Hey Cal, grilled some steaks yesterday, didn't have any charcoal so I used some pecan limbs that got blown out of the trees. Maybe that is what you are smelling. Course I would think it should be crossing the Canadian border by now the way the winds are. :lol:

1982vett":jb82mdf0 said:
Hey Cal, grilled some steaks yesterday, didn't have any charcoal so I used some pecan limbs that got blown out of the trees. Maybe that is what you are smelling. Course I would think it should be crossing the Canadian border by now the way the winds are. :lol:

I'm telling you that pecan wood is awful hard to beat for grillin or smokin meat.
But on the other hand Vett i'm sure i would have smelled them stakes too. :) :)

Cal

CattleHand":3ov44esf said:
Do alligators ever get a hold of your calves?

No, they are pretty docile and eat mostly turtles, fish, snakes, yapping poodles(1) with bow ties in their ears and the occassional lab. I sometimes feed them deer carcusses or dead cows. I do have one I call Allie. She is my prize gator. She isn't around any cattle but I think she might take a calf if given the opportunity. She is full grown and is probably about 12+ feet long and probably weighs around 700 lbs. She is a monster and is pretty sneaky. Sometimes she will just appear in the water in front of you with her beady eyes just looking at you. But she has never been aggressive toward us.

(1) Dang funny story about this.(Fifi just thought he was bad) :lol2: :lol2:

Calman":3ov44esf said:
Jo I think I would rather have these wild hogs than them gaters.

Yeah but hogs taste better. :lol2:

john250":36rtq2sv said:
I'm willing to trade the moderate amount of cold weather I get for not having gators in the back 40 and rattlesnakes in the crawl space.

Me too ! I wouldn't mind the gators but, them snakes are not for me .

Larry

larryshoat":1ybjsfe5 said:
john250":1ybjsfe5 said:
I'm willing to trade the moderate amount of cold weather I get for not having gators in the back 40 and rattlesnakes in the crawl space.

Me too ! I wouldn't mind the gators but, them snakes are not for me .

Larry

My wife is from ohio and she is simply petrefied of snakes. She thinks they will chase you down just to get to bite you.

Cal

heck if it was 55 here i'd be out there sunbathing! Might be in the 40's this afternoon so I'll have to get out my shorts.

CattleHand":3vowvlu5 said:
Do alligators ever get a hold of your calves?

Only if you go stomping around in the swamp :mrgreen:

If the place that Jo posted is the place I am thinking it looks like then he don't have any cows there. He raises hogs there though :cowboy:

Jogeephus":2upa1x7h said:
A cottonmouth sometimes will as they are territorial.
they will... and ive had em do it more times then i care too count... a rattle snake looks and sounds angry but aleast they'll give you a warning

Enough about those creepy snakes, I'm worried about mnmt. They have shut highways down out by him. :nod: It's coming this way :help:

MistyMorning":3espq108 said:
Enough about those creepy snakes, I'm worried about mnmt. They have shut highways down out by him. :nod: It's coming this way :help:

Send it on down here. We'll take all the ice you can spare. Surely it will melt some day into water

Scalleywag forecasters done took rain out of the forecast for tomorrow and inserted scattered thundershowers. :mad: Gona end up with nothing again.

If only I could send it Texas way bhb, I would love to. Snow is coming down about the rate of 1+ inches an hour. Sometimes so thick, that visibility is less than I would say an eight of a mile. Winds and arctic air to follow sometime tonight. If you folks thought I was getting twitchy before, well........ :nod:

1982vett":sln6y5jt said:
Scalleywag forecasters done took rain out of the forecast for tomorrow and inserted scattered thundershowers. :mad: Gona end up with nothing again.

Same for here Vett,yep probably won't get a drop.

Cal

Calman":2s2fmo7b said:
1982vett":2s2fmo7b said:

Same for here Vett,yep probably won't get a drop.

Cal

If they change it to isolated then you know you are sc...ed.

Definitely not time yet to store the longhandles up here...Sounds like the Texans and southerners better dig theirs out- as this will dip all the way south to Texas...
10 Below with a NNW wind about 15 mph- and 30 Below chill factor right now....Checking heifers and the springing cows I have lotted every hour- hoping to catch them before the calf hits the ground and get them in the barn... So far they've been keeping their legs crossed....

Cold Blast Follows Storm
Updated: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3:40 PM

A bitterly cold air mass currently over southern Canada will plunge southward across the Plains behind the storm that is bringing blizzard conditions to the northern Plains and severe weather to the Midwest. This cold air made its presence felt across the northern Plains on Tuesday as temperatures failed to reach 20 degrees as far south as northern Nebraska. The real chill be felt across Montana and North Dakota where some locations had subzero high temperatures. To make matters worse, strong winds and blinding snow made for a blizzard amidst in dangerous wind chills in the eastern Dakotas into northern Minnesota.

Some of this cold will fan out southward delivering a shock to the southern Plains on Wednesday. Temperatures will be 20, 30 and even 40 degrees lower in Kansas to Texas. Temperatures in Dallas, Texas, for example, will struggle to reach the low 50s on Wednesday after nearing 80 degrees on Tuesday.

This shot of cold air will also flow eastward. Take Nashville, where Tuesday's record-challenging warmth will give way to a chilly rain on Wednesday.

Story by AccuWeather

I figured as much. I know people who are already planting their gardens but I'm not falling for this tempting spring like weather. Its still a little early. But I do have the garden turned and almost ready to go.

Local Forecast:

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around -17. Wind chill values as low as -34. Northwest wind between 5 and 8 mph.

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 11. Wind chill values as low as -25. South southeast wind between 3 and 7 mph.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around -5. Wind chill values as low as -21. East southeast wind around 9 mph.

Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 23. Wind chill values as low as -15. South southeast wind around 7 mph.

Here is where all the temptaion is coming from. If it would only rain then things would be growing nicely.

Overnight: Areas of dense fog after 2am. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 53. Calm wind.

Wednesday: Areas of dense fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 84. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 52. Calm wind.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 78. Calm wind becoming east northeast around 5 mph.

Thursday Night: A 20 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. East northeast wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Friday: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 72.

Friday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 51.

Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 74.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55.

Sunday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 77.

Latest posts