70% loss in Hay production in Texas!

Help Support CattleToday:

LonghornRanch

Reaction score
The news just reported that Texas has loss 70% of it's hay production. I bet round bale prices will be $120 by Nov!

It's going to be a long hard winter for cattlemen.

Yup,not much hay in Texas,seems like it gets a lil worse each year,some folks are barely hanging on.......waiting for cooler wetter weather that just seems, to never come...........good luck.
PS I would sell out before I would gouge a man with high hay prices.

The worst thing is, is that we have a fair amount of hay back east here, it's just the shipping that makes it an unwise move to have it shipped in.

1) If the price gets real high, shipping hay will happen.

2)Texas cattlemen will start unloading millions of head of cattle.

This can't be good. High hay prices and low cattle prices at the same time.

I can put you in touch with someone that has the large square coastal bales. They weigh about 800 lbs. let me know if you are interested. He also has cow hay and horse hay. It is not cheap, but I can't bear to sell my animals.

LonghornRanch":1cwv7rng said:

2)Texas cattlemen will start unloading millions of head of cattle.

This can't be good. High hay prices and low cattle prices at the same time.

Concerning the shipping note. Most carriers charge a flat rate and then add a fuel surcharge to the base rate. The fuel surcharge is anywhere from 25 to 30% of the freight price now, because of the high fuel prices. (so basically your paying 125 to 130%) Yikes!

LonghornRanch":190hsu9w said:

Shipping hay is already happening. Semi loads of hay are going out of here several (if not every) days of the week.