6 wt. calf with loose stool, no fever and good appetite

Help Support CattleToday:

remsteel6

Reaction score
One of my ~600 lbs heifers has developed a loose stool for the past two weeks that sometimes boarders on diarrhea but is not purely liquid. Her appetite has remained very good and she is drinking well. She has no fever and none of the other calves with her have developed any symptoms. She does not appear dehydrated (eyes are not sunken and passes tenting test) Any ideas???

She is either adapting to new feed (or green grass high in protein) or it can be parasites. You can either treat with a broad spectrum anthelmintic or better still take a fecal sample to a vet to get a exact diagnosis of the problem indeed it is a problem.

If you've recently adjusted her ration or turned her into rye grass or other green pasture you can make hay available for her to nibble on and you'll soon see her dung firm up

Well, she's been on the same feed for 3 months, she was weaned early in order to go to the fair.
and I wormed her over a week ago, actually that was the first thing I did. I have considered taking
a fecal, but other than parasites, most diseases would either elicit a fever and or have been transmitted
to the other calves. Guess I'll have to have that fecal test done....thanks for the input

Latest posts