6' Rotary Cutter

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I may be in the market for a six foot, single spindle, single tail wheel rotary cutter. I need it to get into some hard to reach areas. I will probably need a high-medium duty or a heavy-duty cutter. Around here, the main choices are Bush Hog, Land Pride, Titan, and Woods. What are your thoughts on these and which would be the best bet for long-lasting use?

sstterry said:
I may be in the market for a six foot, single spindle, single tail wheel rotary cutter. I need it to get into some hard to reach areas. I will probably need a high-medium duty or a heavy-duty cutter. Around here, the main choices are Bush Hog, Land Pride, Titan, and Woods. What are your thoughts on these and which would be the best bet for long-lasting use?
All of those in the duty you want would be good. Local dealers have those so finding one should not be a problem. I bought a 6' Bush Hog with front and rear chains medium duty like new at auction for $1500 3 years ago. I think I seen the one Kenny bought at auction and it was a heck of a deal and in nice shape. Pro Team had a couple nice ones at the auction last week, but I did not see the final bid price. Tyler Brothers have an auction coming up and they don't have a buyers premium, just to throw that out there, as you maybe wanting new.

https://www.tbfe.com/auction

We have a Brush Bull by Woods. 8', med duty. It gets in places the Brush Hog bat wing can't. I like both brands. We had a land pride, the frame just seemed to rust through pretty quick (maybe 10yrs) just thinner steel.

Shame you are not closer to SC. A widow called this week and has a 6' medium duty JD that her late husband never got to use. I tried to help her figure a value as somebody had asked her about it.

I have an 8'. For me I have some steep areas that are hard to get around on with the big tractor. And some irregular corners. I just use the 6' to trim up what I can't get with the bigger one

Stocker Steve said:
Why so many 5' and 6' rotary cutters? Is there an issue with 8' or is it just price?

Any bigger than 6' and I prefer a pull type.

Those bigger 3pts are hell on the hitches and sway links, especially over rough ground. That's a lot of weight swinging around back there.

Not a lot of difference in most of them, for that duty. I;ve tore a few up, using them beyond what they are designed for, surprisingly tho, most held up quite well

Aaron said:
Track down a Bush Hog 406. Heaviest cutter ever made and discontinued a few years ago. They ran about $6k US new.

I bought one of them off of a government surplus site for under 500 bucks about 15 years ago. Heckuva machine, but you better have a tractor in front of it. I use it on a Ford 7610 2wd most of the time, even with a full rack of weights on the front I have to back it onto the trailer.

99% of tractors big enough to handle that mower are more than 6' wide, so I wouldn't call it a handy machine. For that weight class, I'd rather have an 8' wide twin spindle.

cfpinz said:
Aaron said:
Track down a Bush Hog 406. Heaviest cutter ever made and discontinued a few years ago. They ran about $6k US new.

I bought one of them off of a government surplus site for under 500 bucks about 15 years ago. Heckuva machine, but you better have a tractor in front of it. I use it on a Ford 7610 2wd most of the time, even with a full rack of weights on the front I have to back it onto the trailer.

99% of tractors big enough to handle that mower are more than 6' wide, so I wouldn't call it a handy machine. For that weight class, I'd rather have an 8' wide twin spindle.

If all your doing is mowing grass and twigs, than yes, it is overkill. But no other 3pt mower is going to handle what it can.

sstterry said:
I looked up the specs on that 406. It is over 1500 lbs. :shock:

I can't tell you how many stumps I've pushed out with that thing - you'll spin out an 87 pto hp 2wd tractor before you cave in the back end. You really need it on a loader tractor, otherwise it's not really all that safe.

It's a right of way mower, plain and simple.

I haven't seen mine for 3 years. Loaned it and a tractor to a buddy of mine who bought some property and didn't have a tractor/bush hog to clean it up with. I doubt he's hurt it....

cfpinz said:
sstterry said:
I looked up the specs on that 406. It is over 1500 lbs. :shock:

I can't tell you how many stumps I've pushed out with that thing - you'll spin out an 87 pto hp 2wd tractor before you cave in the back end. You really need it on a loader tractor, otherwise it's not really all that safe.

It's a right of way mower, plain and simple.

I haven't seen mine for 3 years. Loaned it and a tractor to a buddy of mine who bought some property and didn't have a tractor/bush hog to clean it up with. I doubt he's hurt it....

3 years? Got anything else you wanna loan out? At that rate, I'll probably be belly-up before you need it back! :lol2:

JMJ Farms said:
3 years? Got anything else you wanna loan out? At that rate, I'll probably be belly-up before you need it back! :lol2:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Latest posts