55 acres (Cows or Stockers)

Help Support CattleToday:

Defiantly stockers! You can graze more stockers per acre than mamma cows with calves. With cows you can only sell as many calves that were born that year and you have to feed them all year around. With stockers you can just summer graze and take the winter off.

Read "Thoughts and Advice from an Old Cattleman" by Gordon Hazard, he gives insight to why he did stockers instead of cow-calf/seedstock.

TheFutureFarmer":199vt4kw said:
Defiantly stockers! You can graze more stockers per acre than mamma cows with calves. With cows you can only sell as many calves that were born that year and you have to feed them all year around. With stockers you can just summer graze and take the winter off.

Read "Thoughts and Advice from an Old Cattleman" by Gordon Hazard, he gives insight to why he did stockers instead of cow-calf/seedstock.

I say do all of the above.

TheFutureFarmer":2c1ntih1 said:

I still like BSE's analysis but don't think I haven't let that idea come across my mind more than once. Without looking back at my original post I think I said it was sectioned into 3 sections but it's actually 4 paddocks with each one being about 15 acres. The stockers give me a quicker return on my money but are higher risk. I have bought groups of stockers in the past that were from the same farm and raised together that worked out great, that was on another property I leased. I could definitely run a load on this property from late spring to late summer or early fall.

Latest posts