5420 Rebel

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
I am looking at a 5420 2014 model Rebel Baler that has rolled 501 bales according to monitor. Photos of it looks new. Asking price $14500. It may insult the owner but thinking of an offer of $11000. I have two 5410 rebel balers that I am using now and have found them to be very reliable when adjusting per the manuals. Thought about keeping one of the 5410 and selling one. Everyone needs two balers one to fix and one to use. Opinions of any one that owns a 5420 baler appreciated.

Going through the video I see nothing that will be a vast difference from what you have. This baler has not been redesigned like the "R" series. If you need a tax write off or newer paint for 11k get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZpn7U1TzCo

Vermeer still lists the 5520 on their website as a current model, but not the 5420. The 5520 is listed as a vertical chamber design, so it'd be a safe bet that the 5420 is, also. Are the 5410 models vertical or horizontal?

cfpinz said:
Vermeer still lists the 5520 on their website as a current model, but not the 5420. The 5520 is listed as a vertical chamber design, so it'd be a safe bet that the 5420 is, also. Are the 5410 models vertical or horizontal?

Not much difference in the 5410 and the 5420. The 5410 only has the tension spring for the belts on one side and the 5420 on both sides that helps the belt tracking. Also the 5410 has six belts and the 5420 has 5 that are a little wider. Also the 5420 is supposed to have a simpler net feed mechanism on it. Belt tracking is a problem on my 5410 but not to the extent that the belts break but rub on the belt dividers and will fray one side of the belts. I suspect the 5410 are vertical as most everything on them is about the same as 5420.

The 5 belts instead of 6 concerns me a bit, I like my belts to have the smallest amount of space between them possible.

Vertical chamber balers have their good points and bad. One thing I've noticed is that they are very dependent on the belt surfaces being rough enough to flip the hay down as it reaches the top of the vertical chamber. Smooth or worn down belts will lead to plugs when starting the bale.

hurleyjd said:
I am looking at a 5420 2014 model Rebel Baler that has rolled 501 bales according to monitor. Photos of it looks new. Asking price $14500. It may insult the owner but thinking of an offer of $11000. I have two 5410 rebel balers that I am using now and have found them to be very reliable when adjusting per the manuals. Thought about keeping one of the 5410 and selling one. Everyone needs two balers one to fix and one to use. Opinions of any one that owns a 5420 baler appreciated.

I sent the owner of the 5420 baler today with a higher offer. He emailed be back and said he had another looker today and if it was not sold he would accept my offer. I sent him a note and told him to show the looker my offer if it would help him get a higher price for his baler. Will wait and see. I have established an e-mail relationship with a tech at Vermeer. I had asked him how much the improvement would be over my 5410 he sent back not much. He also said that he would recommend and would really like for me to find a 504N that they are as trouble free as they come. A used one would be in the $20,000 range that is only $6000 less than the 504R. If the owner of the 5420 takes me up on my offer then I will buy his if not will wait for another baler and keep using mine. The 5410 and 5420 will not eat up a windrow at a high speed but works very well slower how much I cannot tell you as there or no speedometers on my tractors.

hurleyjd said:
The 5410 and 5420 will not eat up a windrow at a high speed but works very well slower how much I cannot tell you as there or no speedometers on my tractors.

Those are the economy balers and have been slowed down so folks can run them with smaller HP tractors, there's no reason to expect them to eat up a windrow like a high end baler.

What tractor do you use for baling?

hurleyjd said:
hurleyjd said:

I sent the owner of the 5420 baler today with a higher offer. He emailed be back and said he had another looker today and if it was not sold he would accept my offer. I sent him a note and told him to show the looker my offer if it would help him get a higher price for his baler. Will wait and see. I have established an e-mail relationship with a tech at Vermeer. I had asked him how much the improvement would be over my 5410 he sent back not much. He also said that he would recommend and would really like for me to find a 504N that they are as trouble free as they come. A used one would be in the $20,000 range that is only $6000 less than the 504R. If the owner of the 5420 takes me up on my offer then I will buy his if not will wait for another baler and keep using mine. The 5410 and 5420 will not eat up a windrow at a high speed but works very well slower how much I cannot tell you as there or no speedometers on my tractors.
The 5410 and 5420 have 4 bar pickups. The M, N serious have 5 bar pickups which makes a big difference in picking up a windrow. I have used both 4 ft. and 5 ft. wide pickups and the 5 ft. pickup will pickup hay faster also. As mentioned about the rebel balers/entry level are good balers, but the next step up are better in a lot of places on the machine. The weaknesses on the M baler are pretty well beefed up on the N as I would like to have one of those. The newest R balers are redesigned and I am not very familiar with those yet.

cfpinz said:
hurleyjd said:
The 5410 and 5420 will not eat up a windrow at a high speed but works very well slower how much I cannot tell you as there or no speedometers on my tractors.

Those are the economy balers and have been slowed down so folks can run them with smaller HP tractors, there's no reason to expect them to eat up a windrow like a high end baler.

What tractor do you use for baling?

4230 CASE-IH about 75 PTO HP

Number of pickup teeth----5 bar pickup vs. 4 bar pickup , adjustment and condition play a big roll in starting a bale.

jltrent said:
The newest R balers are redesigned and I am not very familiar with those yet.

The design has more similarities to the green balers than I would have ever imagined rolling out of Pella.

I'd still love to give one a whirl, though.

Are any of the Vermeer balers as good or better than a Deere? Don't see many around here. Honestly, I don't think I have seen one. There are three dealers within a 60 mile radius.

Deere mostly, Case next, and then the NH. Some folks spend on the green, and then Case/NH (I am told the same machine under the paint) are bought on price.

I'm not an expert, but I'd say all the Major brands are fairly close in quality now when comparing similar models they offer for different price points. I think local dealer support may be the biggest factor. Here where I live there are more Vermeer balers than anything else, followed by Deere, then New Holland. There are a lot tractors significantly below 100 HP baling hay here, so quite a few Vermeer models like the Rebel and Super I which can be pulled with lower HP tractors on these hills.

Just for fun I thought I would jump into the fray. I know this is going backwards in series but I have never seen a baler take in hay like a Super I with good teeth. I have ran Gehl, JD, Hesston, Vermeer SI, Rebel, and R. My friend with the R will get mad because I can start a windrow at full speed and never slow down. He catches up on the wrapping vs. string but I can give him a run for his money with my $6k baler. Good times.
The Gehl was an 1860, good in its time but hard to get a bale started. The JD was a 466. I don't have time to talk about that headache trail. The Hesston 5540 I only kept one year and never seen it at it's best. The Vermeer's have been great all but the Rebel. As it has been stated, they are intended for a different, smaller tractor and horsepower so are lacking in areas. I bought the SI and after replacing the pickup drive clutch, all the teeth and cam followers I could not believe the difference.
I wish I knew people who really understand the net wrap systems for the I series and know the problems with them. It may be something I would consider if I could find out more about them. My equal fill/auto tie monitor says it is wrap ready.

Self-Propelled Baler---------this looks to be on the M, N design baler..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbFB-874lrE

Latest posts