Vermeer Rebel 5410 Hay Wrapping Issue

Help Support CattleToday:

MudHog

Reaction score
Looking for help as my baler has started getting hay wrapped on the front roller for the long belt on the left side 90% of the time. Happens on the right side every once in a while. I baled 21 bales today and it happened on everyone except for 3-4 bales. 1 belt has 12 more bales than the other 5 which were brand new. Windows were tall and I ended up doing all the baling in A1 on my JD 5425. I think I could have square baled faster.

Got out and checked rollers after every bale. Gun shy from popping 3 belts the last 3 times I baled. Which made me change belts as the lacing was getting bad.

18XX bales on the baler.

MudHog said:
Looking for help as my baler has started getting hay wrapped on the front roller for the long belt on the left side 90% of the time. Happens on the right side every once in a while. I baled 21 bales today and it happened on everyone except for 3-4 bales. 1 belt has 12 more bales than the other 5 which were brand new. Windows were tall and I ended up doing all the baling in A1 on my JD 5425. I think I could have square baled faster.

Got out and checked rollers after every bale. Gun shy from popping 3 belts the last 3 times I baled. Which made me change belts as the lacing was getting bad.

18XX bales on the baler.
Check the scraper bar and make sure the clearance with the starter roller which is roller with spiral rods welded to it. Clearance is .01. I had to adjust the clearance on mine in last week. It was set at .10. set each side and one rod was hitting . I ground down that rod for clearance. Also make sure that you are not crowding the left side more than the right. Also you might shorten the width of the windrow and that might help. On breaking belts on mine I was having that problem and I looked at the manual bale size pointer on the baler and changed the bale size to 50 inches rather than the 60 inches that I had been trying to bale.

Thank you sir.

On the scraper, I did check mine yesterday. Is your roller not straight? Meaning on the scraper, is the 0.01" clearance on the ends and then the gap grows toward the middle? That is what mine does and wondering if that's normal.

I had the same issue on bale size. I noticed my bales were looking bigger. I did the out of field calibration and monitor was 44" instead of 46". In my case, I've been making a bale 2" bigger than what the monitor showed. My target was 58" and would hover around 59-60" depending when my tractor would coast to stop. So I have been at 61-62" but the monitor didnt know it was oversized.

Things I have adjusted thus far:
Chain tension on all chains
Windguard stop (it would stop about halfway in the throat vs at the bottom of the twine fingers as per manual).
Bale density I dropped to 900 lbs because I'm traveling so slow.
I eyeballed scraper but moved it about 3/16".
I also had to adjust my gate latches as they had larger gaps than manual called for.

1982vett said:
What's your bale moisture?

Don't have a meter, but it was dry and cracked when twisted.

I did notice that the roller for that belt has some rust putting on it. I bought this baler used from the local dealer. Would those puts have anything to do with it grabbing hay?

MudHog said:
1982vett said:
What's your bale moisture?

Don't have a meter, but it was dry and cracked when twisted.

I did notice that the roller for that belt has some rust putting on it. I bought this baler used from the local dealer. Would those puts have anything to do with it grabbing hay?
I released the tension on the belts and crawled in the baler and removed all the rust with wire brush in my 4.5 inch grinder.

Thanks guys. Is there a defined setting for the pickup? Reading the manual it talks about more aggressive, but is there a benchmark or is it just adjusting?

hurleyjd said:
MudHog said:

18XX bales on the baler.
Check the scraper bar and make sure the clearance with the starter roller which is roller with spiral rods welded to it. Clearance is .01. I had to adjust the clearance on mine in last week. It was set at .10. set each side and one rod was hitting . I ground down that rod for clearance. Also make sure that you are not crowding the left side more than the right. Also you might shorten the width of the windrow and that might help. On breaking belts on mine I was having that problem and I looked at the manual bale size pointer on the baler and changed the bale size to 50 inches rather than the 60 inches that I had been trying to bale.

Is your starter roller straight? When I checked my scraper last saturday I noticed a bigger crack in the middle vs the ends. In essence, the crack in the middle is about 1/2" and the ends about 1/8". Spun the roller to double check, but the gap in the middle stayed the same at each welded bar.

MudHog said:
Thank you sir.

On the scraper, I did check mine yesterday. Is your roller not straight? Meaning on the scraper, is the 0.01" clearance on the ends and then the gap grows toward the middle? That is what mine does and wondering if that's normal.

I had the same issue on bale size. I noticed my bales were looking bigger. I did the out of field calibration and monitor was 44" instead of 46". In my case, I've been making a bale 2" bigger than what the monitor showed. My target was 58" and would hover around 59-60" depending when my tractor would coast to stop. So I have been at 61-62" but the monitor didnt know it was oversized.

Things I have adjusted thus far:
Chain tension on all chains
Windguard stop (it would stop about halfway in the throat vs at the bottom of the twine fingers as per manual).
Bale density I dropped to 900 lbs because I'm traveling so slow.
I eyeballed scraper but moved it about 3/16".
I also had to adjust my gate latches as they had larger gaps than manual called for.

Okay I will try to explain. I did buy a feeler gauge that I could check the clearance with. I undone the small short chain that makes the starter roller turn. I loosened the bolts on each side of the bar and adjusted each side for a clearance of .01. Tighten the bolts and when you would spin the starter roller there was one rod that would hit. I removed enough to make at clear by grinding with a grinder. Another thing check the rubber wheels that tuck the hay in and make sure that they are barely turning in the stubble and not making any ground contact. Make sure that you are crowding the windrow to the right side and not the left side. When you crowd the left side the tucker wheels will not move the heavy windrow and the hay will have to be pulled from under the baler and onto the pickup reel. Sometimes the hay will actual be balled up behind the tucker wheels. I do not think you are having a moisture problem. For your information I also run a 5410. But that may not make me an expert.

Did you have 0.01 clearance all across the starter roller or was that clearance only on each side?

MudHog said:
Did you have 0.01 clearance all across the starter roller or was that clearance only on each side?

It is .01 all the way across the start roller scraper.I think you could remove it from the baler and straighten it if need be. P/N of scraper is 510505576. Cost for a new scraper would be $174.67

If it continues to wrap the belt length may not be in speck. On my 505M I took all the belts out as they are two different lengths and cut three the same length and the other 3 the same length. Also if it does not have the Restrictor Plates adding those could help as they make it easier to pull (less friction on the inside sides of the baler) and straighter sides on the bales.

s-l300.jpg

Ok guys, baled some this afternoon and it was some thin bahiagrass. Ended up getting the guy raking to double up the windrows. Hay would roll forward, but would get in the baler. Adjusted the cam and noticed a slight difference. Setting was mid way in the slot and I adjusted to midway of what was left. Thought to go to max, but didn't know exactly what that would do and didn't want to risk damaging the baler due to needing to bale what was cut. Hay still wrapped up as it has been doing. This time it wrapped on one of the upper rollers instead of the bottom front roller for the long belts. Never once did the hay get pulled into the baler, not even once the windrows were combined and I downshifted a gear.

Plan to blow it down and clean it hopefully tomorrow afternoon. Then I will open it up and put the gate stops and belt tension release, then back it under the carport. Thinking to pull all the belts out and then go from there. It's at the point where I am not trusting it and I am also traveling way slower than I know I could be going because I not trusting the baler.

Is your wind guard even and moving freely and the wind guard teeth even? Just helped the neighbour with a similar problem on a JD 568 and discovered the wind guard was jammed up a bit on one side.

Silver said:
Is your wind guard even and moving freely and the wind guard teeth even? Just helped the neighbour with a similar problem on a JD 568 and discovered the wind guard was jammed up a bit on one side.

Windguard is moving freely and tines are even with one another. I recently also adjust it as it was lower than what the manual was calling for.

Latest posts