504c help

Help Support CattleToday:

Late96

Reaction score
Replace belts outer 9" and 4 4", 388" according to book, they hang extremely loose and book gives no measurement for turn buckle. Please help, thanks

From what I have found that is the right belts length and all. Recon the tension arms could be a little stuck or the springs not working properly for the tension arm?
https://www.americasbelting.com/Baler-Belts-VERMEER-504C-Wide-Belt-Kit

The 504C is not an open throat baler as it could be a little tricky taking hay and starting a bale at times, but they bale a good bale.

8072.JPG

Kinda tickled me as I was talking to a guy a few years ago and he was comparing a new JD round baler to a Vermeer "C" baler and how much better the JD would take hay than Vermeer baler. I don't think he was comparing apples to apples as when the "C baler was made JD didn't even have a round baler.

A neighbor up the road until just a few years ago still baled hay with a Vermeer "A" baler. He put it in a local auction and I think the high bid was $50. It was worth more than that for scrap iron.

Vermeer 605A
4796024.jpg

Here was old man Vermeers first baler a 6x6 monster. I bet those belts would get twisted up easy and a pretty soft core.

History%20of%20innovation%20callout.png

I'm still using a 605B I originally bought to only do 25-30 bales a year. Now I do about 90 but its still going. Sure makes for a LONG day though. That bottom pic made me cuss just looking at it. Imagine the mess if that thing hit a big wad of damp hay.

Did you measure the old belts? Were all belts replaced or just the outer ones?
Hard to say what kind of modifications have been done since that model was new.