50# vs 40# bags of fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

rdbigfarmboy

Reaction score
I have noticed Lowes, Walmart and Depot have 40# bags of fertilizer. So factor bag size in.
I price per unit of fertilizer and with 40# bags use 2.5
Example $20 for (2 bags) 100# of triple 13 is nearly .52 cents per unit fertilizer.

Then the smaller bags Locally $8.5 per bag and it takes 2.5 bags for a 100# so the cost of 100# is $21.25 which is about .54 cents per unit fertilizer.

The only bag fertilizer I have bought has been at half price: left over or open bag.

Wow Im tired. Most thanking I done in years

At he local Wal Mart I figured the price to actually be $.005 per # cheaper than buying at the BULK rate and purchasing 3-4 ton. There is one difference though ( I think I am right on this) there is no tax on that purchased at the fertilizer dealer or at the least the tax is less than regular retail. But it still makes no sense that we are not getting it cheaper by buying in bulk.

Actually, by buying at a large chain like wal-mart you are buying bulk in a sense. Wal-Mart can buy enough nationwide to get a huge discount over your local bulk supplier. Now, if Wally World could put in a bulk plant, maybe we could get some cheaper fertilizer. I avoid those stores like the plague though; too many people like rats in a cage.

Latest posts