5 MONTH OLD CALVES WITH POSSIBLE EYE ISSUE?

Help Support CattleToday:

Mcp220

Reaction score
Ok - So, we are somewhat new to this and figured to check with those who have a bit more experience. We've got four bottle calves that are now about 5 months old. they are completely weaned and on grass and still feeding grain once a day. We've had a few issues, but nothing we haven't been able to deal with. My question is this - Two of them are showing signs of pinkeye, although they've been vaccinated. Excessive tears dripping down on both calves in one eye each. One calf's eye appears to be rolling up so you see mostly the white. The other calf has one eye that is looking cloudy and grayish toward the bottom. Both seem to not be holding the infected eye open completely, but not keeping it closed. They are both eating fine, very active, and their plops are real nice. So, how do you decipher between pinkeye and other infections? If it's something else, what do we watch for? Is it safe to use pink eye spray if it is not actually pink eye? And how long do we give it until we call the vet out? I have no problem giving them shots and whatnot, but not sure about anything in their eyes! I may be able to get some pics tonight if that is more helpful? Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

If more than one has it and assuming you are in the northern hemisphere then I think you can safely assume it is Pinkeye. Topicals can work well on it, I use intramammary mastitis preparations containing Cloxacillin, 1/2 tube in each eye with good success, can repeat after 48 hrs if necessary but I rarely have to give 2nd dose. Most people on here don't feel they have done it justice without giving something by injection such as Oxytetracycline or even Draxin. I would suggest you talk to your vet to see if you can pick up some meds as they will often dispense without seeing the animal if you have a good relationship with them and they know your situation.

Ken

They may have been vaccinated for pinkeye BUT most vaccines only target moxarella bovis and there could be another strain going around. Precisely why I vaccinate with a custom autogenous that targets both moxarella bovis & m. bovoculi. And it's also quite possible they simply have eye abrasions - it happens. I generally start with flushing/spraying the eye with Veterycin multiple times a day and see if there's any improvement. If no improvement you can do what Ken suggested, treating with a topical containing Cloxacillin (Today mastitis cream, e.g.) and I have done that before with good results. That said, there are a number of times when I only have one opportunity to catch & work a calf and my go-to is flushing/spraying with Veterycin and a hefty dose of LA300.

I never bother with putting anything in the eye. A shot of LA or Draxxin is enough.

Thank you! We've been spraying both calves and one seems to have cleared up completely. The other is still iffy and now his other eye started a bit, as well. Will probably continue with the spray for a couple of days to get them really flushed out good and go from there. I could certainly handle the topical medication as well, so we shall see if we have to go that route in a couple of days!

Mcp220 said:
Thank you! We've been spraying both calves and one seems to have cleared up completely. The other is still iffy and now his other eye started a bit, as well. Will probably continue with the spray for a couple of days to get them really flushed out good and go from there. I could certainly handle the topical medication as well, so we shall see if we have to go that route in a couple of days!

Glad the one has cleared up completely. I'd go ahead & give the other a broad spectrum antibiotic (LA or Draxxin) now before it gets worse.

We have a few cows that always have runny eyes during the summer. It may be allergies or sensitivity to flies or tall grass. But, if they have cloudiness in the eye and are squinting or have a puffy looking eye, it a sure sign of pinkeye. It's best to treat them at the first sign for quicker recovery. Once they develop a white spot it will take a few weeks for them to completely heal up. We give a shot of LA200 or La300 which usually clears up mild cases with one round. Biomycin 200 is better for not leaving "sting" welts at the injection sites, but it's been in short supply this summer.