5 Gallon Gas Cans

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms

Reaction score
Why did they take the vents out of plastic 5 Gallon Gas Cans?Was it because some dummy spilled his in a trunk because he forgot to fold the vent cover down? I've drilled holes in most of mine, because it takes forever to pour one til it's dry.

Seems like they are trying to idiot proof everything. It takes forever to empty one when you are having to hold it up.

We did the same thing crowder, if you think back a little bit they were putting a yellow little vent on those cans that was almost worthless and now they're gone all together.

Crowderfarms":2moro1rt said:
Why did they take the vents out of plastic 5 Gallon Gas Cans?Was it because some dummy spilled his in a trunk because he forgot to fold the vent cover down? I've drilled holes in most of mine, because it takes forever to pour one til it's dry.

I was probably one of the idiots...but I didn't tell anybody...I promise I didn't.

Alice

I think it was to PO people about how slow the fuel comes out. If that was the plan they've been wildly succesfull. I just burned 3 of those cursed things so I wouldn;t be tempted to ever use them again.

dun

They have some new type nozzle in TX. It works like the Coleman fuel caps. You have to depress it to get the gas out. Gas cans are over $15. We are all buying up the old spare nozzles. Plastic gas cans at Lowe's, Home Depot, and all the stores are over $15 now and the darn thing spills gas everywhere.

I grew up on 5 gallon buckets that use to hold fluids.

They still work.

Caustic Burno":3dvog0qc said:
I am still useing Jerry Cans never noticed the change.

Figures...always behind times CB.

I have drilled all mine out too. Honestly, it is too painful watching the fuel go in the blasted cans, I sure as heck don't want to be tortured waiting on it to run out. :(

Crowderfarms":1tzhpo2i said:
Why did they take the vents out of plastic 5 Gallon Gas Cans?

I didn't honestly know they did - the ones up here still have the little tiny cap at the back of the 'can' to vent with - at least they did when I bought one for diesel fuel the latter part of last summer.

Wewild":23cjkr0q said:
They still work.
If those are empty 5 gal oil pails.
me 2

dj":2cr9aj98 said:
Wewild":2cr9aj98 said:
They still work.
If those are empty 5 gal oil pails.
me 2

Various kinds of oil buckes, paint buckets, hydraulic fluid buckets, they all get recycled here. I have no idea how many 5 gallon buckets we have floating around - but it never seems to be enough! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gas cans always make my bloodpressure go way up. you will ALWAYS hear me cussing and fussing when pouring gas from a gascan. something to the effect of "I DONT KNOW WHY SOME*bleep*BODY DOESNT *bleep* MAKE A *bleep* *bleep* GAS CAN THAT *bleep* *bleepity bleep* WORKS." One of my pet peeves is getting gas or deisel on me, especially my hands.

3MR":3sh0r15w said:
why would they take the vent out?
I believe it's a Communist/Wal-Mart plot. :lol: Seriously, I have never been able to get an answer why the vents are gone, until you drill your own vent, they're darn near worthless.

Crowderfarms":u1149lzj said:
3MR":u1149lzj said:
why would they take the vent out?
I believe it's a Communist/Wal-Mart plot. :lol: Seriously, I have never been able to get an answer why the vents are gone, until you drill your own vent, they're darn near worthless.

They probably saved three cents on each can. Remember how mauch Delta, or whoever it was, said they saved by removing one olive?

Of course now the cans are new and improved and they can charge even more for them. Call them "new and improved and environmentaly friendly" and you can charge even more for them.

The last two I bought for a hurricane stash had some kind of internal venting in the spout. I only filled them once and emptied them once so far but I don't like them. I usaully use the old fashion ones I have and the Jerry cans and then pour from the new ones into these. These were Wally World cans with the internal vent.

flaboy-":21p8r2e3 said:
The last two I bought for a hurricane stash had some kind of internal venting in the spout. I only filled them once and emptied them once so far but I don't like them. I usaully use the old fashion ones I have and the Jerry cans and then pour from the new ones into these. These were Wally World cans with the internal vent.

Its not only Wally World. I can't find the old style anywhere. And I, like everyone else, hate the new cans.

Chris

I've got three 5gal cans made by 'Blitz,' two of which have the vent-in-the-nozzle deal.. The other was sitting in the barn when I bought the place, and had about 1/4" of fuel varnish in the bottom.

The two new ones don't pour worth a nickel, but the old one has a vent and pours great. Since it was crudded up, though, I just use it to haul water when I'm setting posts in concrete. Less spillage than a 5gal bucket and you can get better control of the placement/volume of water for each post. I've found that I end up being able to set more posts in between re-fills by using a 5gal can versus a bucket.

BTW, I've also found that the two new 'Blitz' cans pour better when you turn the cap about 1/4 turn out from being tight. Seems like it can get more air that way. I usually turn them tight and point the nozzle straight up for transport, and then turn them out a little and point the nozzle down before I start pouring the fuel.

Latest posts