4wd tractors, any cons?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
For normal farm usage are there any disadvantages to only having a 4wd tractor? We only have one tractor and it is used for everything from mowing, hay baling and raking to feeeding hay. All this mud this year has me looking for a used tractor.

The single biggest con is the cubic dollars price difference

dun":3mxlk30k said:
The single biggest con is the cubic dollars price difference

That is the key reason I don't have one. Tired of fighting this mud, right now the only reason I still have cows is it is too muddy to get in there and load them. My mood will probably improve by the time it starts drying up and grass starts growing. Worst year I have had feeding hay since I have had cows. Equipment is so high I don't think I can afford one unless I run up a bargain on a used one. I guess having a farm down in a valley is a bad thing in wet weather but good in dry weather, as doing the drought I kept pretty decent grass while neighbors were feeding hay up on the hills.

the only con could be price ..i have 3 john deere 4wd around here its very hilly ,snowey,muddy but i can go any were.... homefarm....

Con List...
More initial cost
More Maintenance
More expensive tires to replace
More slinging of mud from the front tires
Worse turning radius

Plus others mentioned by previous posts.

I think if it wasn't for item #1 on my list, everyone would have a 4x4 and we would all overlook #2 - #5 of my list.

The biggest con to an older FWA or MFWD tractor (versus 2WD) is the front diffs. They were often lighter duty than the rear diffs, and if you spend alot of time spinning, it can wear on them quickly. Heavy loads will also tend to wear the front end components worse than a similar 2WD.

BTW, not to be a nitpicker, but the term 4WD tractor is generally only used when referring to a full 4WD field tractor with equal torque to all axles and equal size tires front and rear. You may confused a salesman if you ask for a 4WD when you really want a front wheel assist.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":hv7rsiio said:
The biggest con to an older FWA or MFWD tractor (versus 2WD) is the front diffs. They were often lighter duty than the rear diffs, and if you spend alot of time spinning, it can wear on them quickly. Heavy loads will also tend to wear the front end components worse than a similar 2WD.

BTW, not to be a nitpicker, but the term 4WD tractor is generally only used when referring to a full 4WD field tractor with equal torque to all axles and equal size tires front and rear. You may confused a salesman if you ask for a 4WD when you really want a front wheel assist.

Rod

Good point - I was think the same thing.

Only exception to your rule on the equal torque and equal size tires is the rare 2 + 2 tractor.

6388.httsih3.jpg

Can only speak for my area but one "con" is spending all that extra $$$ for 4 wd and using it maybe 10% of the time and the rest of the time it's disengaged...course you can never put a price on convenience..

TexasBred":2u00vt07 said:
Can only speak for my area but one "con" is spending all that extra $$$ for 4 wd and using it maybe 10% of the time and the rest of the time it's disengaged...course you can never put a price on convenience..

<chuckle> I think I wanna live where you live. I don't think they put disengage buttons on the FWAs in this area. If they do, I don't think anyone knows you can actually turn it off. :lol: :lol2: ;-)

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":1m6zv334 said:
TexasBred":1m6zv334 said:

<chuckle> I think I wanna live where you live. I don't think they put disengage buttons on the FWAs in this area. If they do, I don't think anyone knows you can actually turn it off. :lol: :lol2: ;-)

Rod

Years ago I had a 4wd drive tractor and the front wheel dirve wa always engaged. The ones I've used in the past 10 years all have a selector to put them in front wheel assist.

When I drove gassers, I used to drive 2WD trucks. With a good set of tires and limited slip, I never had many issues getting around to where I needed to go. Occasionally I'd get places that friends with 4WD gassers and open diffs couldn't go. When I started running diesels, I bought 4WD. Nothing worse than a 2WD diesel in the snow. You don't see many 2WD diesels up here, and those that are around sell cheap.

Rod

A 4 wheel assist tractor is like a 4 wheel dr truck after owning one will wonder how you made it without it. I am in a very steep area use the 4 wheel to hold back and not slide down as much as going up. A 4 wheel assist tractor 60 hp will do as much as a 80 or 90 hp two wheel here. We have 4 wheel on all our tractors with weight on rear wheels and in front.

Thanks for the input. So sick of all this mud, got stuck again yesterday and had to go get a neighbors tractors to pull it out. Be glad when hay feeding is over. The biggest hurdle to a fwa/4wd tractor is the costs. If it were not so muddy I might just load all the cows up and sell them. This stuff is has me ready to give up. :frowns:

tom4018":14jrbj9o said:
Thanks for the input. So sick of all this mud, got stuck again yesterday and had to go get a neighbors tractors to pull it out. Be glad when hay feeding is over. The biggest hurdle to a fwa/4wd tractor is the costs. If it were not so muddy I might just load all the cows up and sell them. This stuff is has me ready to give up. :frowns:

For the mud times we feed in places that the rock is showing or close to a fence so I don;t have to go into the pasture, just flip it over the fence and put the ring on by hand

The problem I have with all the newer tractors are they are so short coupled and sit as high or higher than the old ones. They have chopped the length to fit shipping containers, it cost the same to ship one or ten in a container. I have a lot of hills and these things are plum scary on the side of a hill. The scariest one I drove was a New Holland had a steering set up that gave it a much tighter turning radius.

Caustic Burno":2646v9oc said:
The scariest one I drove was a New Holland had a steering set up that gave it a much tighter turning radius.

Scariest tracotr ride I've had was going through the woods, down a fairly steep hill and the brakes went out of the 460 Internaitonal. Even slowing the engine down, no real back oressure, didn;t slow it down much.

Caustic Burno":1vs83zs4 said:
The problem I have with all the newer tractors are they are so short coupled and sit as high or higher than the old ones. They have chopped the length to fit shipping containers, it cost the same to ship one or ten in a container. I have a lot of hills and these things are plum scary on the side of a hill. The scariest one I drove was a New Holland had a steering set up that gave it a much tighter turning radius.

Yep - the new ones are short, narrow, and light. I sold a relative some hay and we loaded it with my old cab 2555 deere (2wd) and unloaded with his new 5425 cab 4x4. Both are in the 65 pto hp range. With hay on the loader and nothing on the back, my tractor never slipped a tire. With his tractor unloading and nothing on the back, he had to be careful or the back end would bump up and in 2 wd he was slipping tires.

I think the manufacturers are using the 4x4 to complensate for the light weight of these new models. After seeing the 5425 in action, if I ever get a new (or newer used) one I think I'll go with the 6000 series.

I've seen something like what Subsoil is talking about. I have a 2440 2wd cabless tractor,2550 MFWD with cab, and a 6400 MFWD with cab. I regularly handle 2 bales @ 1250 pounds with the 24 and it isn't the easiest to get around but she handles it pretty well for 2wd. The two mechanical fronts are both significantly heavier as far as total tractor weight. If I remember right the 25 is something like 1500 pounds heavier and the 64 is 3400 pounds heavier. Both MFWD tractors have issues with becoming light on the rear and will slip when handling two bales. Granted a flip of the switch and I can go just about anywhere. Not having a MFWD until just a couple years ago, I feel that it is definitely nice to have that switch when needed. The turning radius is actually not that much worse because of the shortness on the newer tractors.

Latest posts