4th of July food traditions?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
So, what's for 4th of July eats? Our tradidtion is cold fried chicken, potato salad and various sides out of the back of the pick-up in town for the fireworks, then back home for zebra cake and bottle rocket wars for desert.

( ;-) shhhhh fireworks are not legal here. Any kind of gun, even concealed in bars, is no prob, but we wouldn't want anybody to burn their little fingies on a bottle rocket would we? :roll: )

hot dogs. whats a 4th of july without hot dogs out at the lake or with some friends and family watching some fireworks.... along with hot dogs we have other assorted grilled meats and the normal foods that you would want

Watermelon. My mom grew up in Aaska and that was the only time of year they got watermelon. It has stck with our famil and we cannot have a fourth party without it

BAR - B - Q With about $400 worth of fire works at my brothers place. There is usually about 30 to 40 people there.

ooh! almost forgot the watermelon!

We bbq/grill (I understand there is a difference? ;-) :p ) so much that the fried chicken is the treat when it is so hot. (except for today while I make it :? )

Also easier to eat out of the back of the truck during the show. :clap:

Hot dogs, Hamurgers, grilled chickin, pasta salad, macaroni salad, Potato salad, salt potatoes, baked beans and homemade cupcakes and brownies for dessert along ice cream and homemade milk shakes. My wife goes all out, she got that from my mother. I didn't tell her she forgot the watermellon. Probably won't get good mellons up here for another week or two.

I'll be eating leftovers all week. :) :)

Hippie Rancher":es722qwn said:
ooh! almost forgot the watermelon!

We bbq/grill (I understand there is a difference? ;-) :p ) so much that the fried chicken is the treat when it is so hot. (except for today while I make it :? )

Also easier to eat out of the back of the truck during the show. :clap:
BBQ involves wood, charcoal for some, grilling is done on a gas grill. We grill almost daily.

Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Watermelon, Salad, Dips of all kinds, and like a bunch of little munchies.
We also have bottle rocket wars and firecrackers under dad's chair when he gets a little too much to drink :lol: (thats the best part!) but with the cows around back of the house we have to watch out for the neighbors and kids who don't like me around the neighborhood cause one year oen ended up with a burt tail... i wonder why???

Rib-eyes, sweet corn, potato salad, and watermelon. Then we go to a friends house out in the country to watch fireworks. On a clear night, you can see fireworks from 4 different towns up to 15 miles away. Of course its REAL flat around here.

VanC - yeah its a toss up every year whether to go to Town or drive up on a hill and try to see all the towns around us (could probably see 5?) but the lure to sit right underneath always wins out!

Had ribeyes and corn last night (and green chilis and pinto beans)! yum really needed a STEAK!

oh and Tod? they were GRILLED over WOOD coals :lol:

Hippie Rancher":f9jsp0h8 said:
VanC - yeah its a toss up every year whether to go to Town or drive up on a hill and try to see all the towns around us (could probably see 5?) but the lure to sit right underneath always wins out!

We ususally get the best of both worlds. There's a town about 15 miles away that has their show on the 3rd. We go down there for the up-close version and then go to our friend's place on the 4th for the long distance version. Unfornutately the wife isn't feeling well today so we're going to stay home tonight. Hope she's feeling better tomorrow.

Hippie Rancher":69qzuk6p said:

Had ribeyes and corn last night (and green chilis and pinto beans)! yum really needed a STEAK!

oh and Tod? they were GRILLED over WOOD coals :lol:
Call it what you will just give me more warning next time so I can make it there in time.

VanC":3mipivbh said:
Hippie Rancher":3mipivbh said:

We ususally get the best of both worlds. There's a town about 15 miles away that has their show on the 3rd. We go down there for the up-close version and then go to our friend's place on the 4th for the long distance version. Unfornutately the wife isn't feeling well today so we're going to stay home tonight. Hope she's feeling better tomorrow.

Van sorry to hear your wife is unwell. hope she feels better soon.

hope you all had a good 4th of July,

VanC":2advwxdc said:
Hippie Rancher":2advwxdc said:

VanC, I'm very sorry that your wife isn't feeling well. I hope she makes a speedy recovery and that you and your family had a good 4th! :)

msscamp":epedolts said:
VanC":epedolts said:
Hippie Rancher":epedolts said:

VanC, I'm very sorry that your wife isn't feeling well. I hope she makes a speedy recovery and that you and your family had a good 4th! :)

Thanks chrisy and msscamp. She's fine now. Just a little flu bug or something, although not the season for it.She was back to her old self yesterday and is as onery as ever. ;-)

Latest posts