41# Calf Care?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
My wf heifers have been calving on pasture. Thirteen calves so far and all live till today. Had one calve last night with temps in the mid 40s - - no action at dark but the calf was cold and dead by dawn. This runt was licked on both sides but had an MT stomach. Her simi/angus heifer mother was a little slow and had a dry cough during the fall rains, but really put on weight this winter and is the second best looking heifer out of 20. I would say she is a little over conditioned.

What is a typical survival rate for calves this size?

Any special care required?

Any reason to think a fall respiratory problem would have an effect on the calf 6 months later?

I have always heard/been told that a 10% mortality rate was about the norm. Averaging everything out over the years I am beginning to think its about right.

With a calf that small, it doesn't take a lot to chill them to the point of hypothermia in colder weather. Chances are that he was weak to start with, if he was born alive at all (you didn't say for sure?) If you have another this small and it's cold out again, and it isn't up and around immediately, it would be a good idea to get it in, dry and warm it up and get a good dose of colostrum into it.

One real possible reason for this calf is BVD, could have made the mama show the symptoms you describe, and resulted in a PI calf.

Latest posts