4 yr old cow with stiff back legs

Help Support CattleToday:

coolpop

Reaction score
Need some help / advice. Have a 4 yr old cow with 3 mths old calf by her side. I noticed 2 wks ago (around the 30th) she was walking stiff legged and cautious with her back legs. But really didn't have much to go on -- just observation. Noticed today a definate stiffness, even some swelling at the tail head -- maybe a vaginal infection as we had borrowed a bull from a neigboring farm to breed her. But the big concern is her calf, she too is walking very stiff legged, sometimes stumbling. Both still eating grain and hay with vigor -- both have a nice barn to go into everynight while the temps have been so cold (in the teens in the Eastern Panhandle of WVa.)
What could this be and how do I treat it. and before anyone says get a vet -- we are in horse race country -- I only have 12 head of cattle - there are local farms that have 50 - 100 and more that can't get a vet out --
So I'm relying on the vast experience I know is on these boards,so Please offer some suggestions as to what this could be.
Thanks in advance. :D

coolpop,

Mom
Stiff legs
Swelling at tail head

calf(3 mos old)
wobly
stiff legs

Don't seem to go together.

What has been/is the mineral program?

Have you changed rations recently?

What kind of hay are you feeding?

How long ago did she breed?

Have you asked the neighbor about the bulls health?

What is her temp and the calfs?

All other cows OK with the same feeding background?

If this was a reproductive canal thing don't see how that would cause her to be stiff legged...and why would that cause the calf to be stiff legged. Doesn't seem to fit. I would look at nutrition...trace minerals...diet type thing. Depending on the findings of the above questions.

Sorry - forgot to mention temps - mom 101.8, heifer calf 102. All other cows/calves/bull/ doing fine.

We have had the bull on our farm since Jan 10th 07' and he breed with the cow that very day, she came into heat again Jan 31st, he again did what we brought him here to do. The next day I noticed a "glob" of yellow white and told my husband that looked like infection to me -- he said no -- just from the bull breeding with her.

Our feed is a 16% mix from Blue Seal, been using it for 7 yrs now, the hay we make ourselves and is a very good hay -- not rotted, moist, dusty, just a good orchard grass mix. Minerals are Purina loose minerals, also a pasture block (they seem to like that best) and white salt block in a mineral twister. Good clear water to drink - I clean out the troughs once a month.

I've not experienced this before

I figured out what the problem was --- about 1 months ago husband took care of feeding cattle (as I was busy with a sick granddaughter) and neglected to tell me momma cow & calf had gotten into the feed room - knocked the lid off the feed can and commenced to eating the grain buffet. hahaha!

So my guess is foundering. No grain for either of them now and both are showing fast improvement.

You are very lucky that you see improvement, some yrs. back had similar experience with 6 purebred limousin calfs (400 lb range) 2 of them did not get over founder. They become home slaughter, at later date.

blk mule