4-H: When to start steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Radi Cilo

Reaction score
I am currently doing rabbits and chickens + crops.

I was wondering if I should get experience with a medium sized animal first (sheep, goat or pig) before starting up a steer project or just jump right in.

I have talked with my parents and soon my 4-H leader.
I'd just like some more opinions :)

Thanks,
-Radi

Radi

Let's start from the top.

Do you have room for a steer?

Do you have a source for gettin' one?

You gonna' pay for it?

If you have a good answer for all of these - let's continue.

You got a way to haul it?

You got some calf club folks to help you make it grow?

You got the place to keep it - and a buddy - they do better in pairs.

If you have a good answer for these question - then it is time to go for it.

My oldest daughter at the age of 14 - quite some years ago - went - behind our backs to one of the finest ranchers in the country and got herself set up - She and the rancher showed up in the yard one day with two steers - one for show and one for a buddy.

The rancher and his wife thought it was hilarious. If your folks are like Wife and I - well, we went right along - then you are in fine shape.

That calf went on to win thousands of dollars for my daughter and she cried her eyes out for a day when the show was over - the calf was bought by the biggest business in the area and went on to the big freezer in the sky.

I knew my daughter would get over it when she asked me the next day - "Dad, when do you think the cheque will get here?"

You are probably old enough - but only YOU know if you are responsible enough.

Sit down and talk it over with Mom and Dad - honestly, rationally and in an adult manner - work them a bit (do NOT say I told you to do that!!) :D and then go get your steer.

Do your best / have fun / and learn lots.

I figure you are old enough and I do not even know you - just do not forget YOU are responsible for the well being of the animal - win / lose / draw - you can learn lots - meet good people and have some fun.

So, jump right in - show your folks this post and pm me for back up if needed! :D

My best

Bez' (an old grey haired parent)

Thanks, Bez.

I have the basic questions down.
Yes I can pay for it. (I don't spend much money plus have a Job on a farm and such).

Plus I plan on getting a holstein steer, alot of dairy farmers around here that do not want steers and go for a fair amount.

I do have alot to talk over with my parents, I don't think I will be doing any other animals, not really intersted in any of them.

Radi Cilo":1sztxy9g said:
Thanks, Bez.

I have the basic questions down.
Yes I can pay for it. (I don't spend much money plus have a Job on a farm and such).

Plus I plan on getting a holstein steer, alot of dairy farmers around here that do not want steers and go for a fair amount.

I do have alot to talk over with my parents, I don't think I will be doing any other animals, not really intersted in any of them.

I have a couple of questions and a comment or two.

Are you planning to show stters in the 4-H to make money, or just for the experience?

Why Holstein?

Comments

If you plan to show a steer in the beef club do not go Holstein - they do not do as well as a regular beef animal.

If you go Holstein it will sell at the auction but not as high as a regular beef animal.

My suggestion - raise your Holstein for home use - sell it to your folks!! This is your buddy animal. It will taste just fine.

Raise the regular beef animal for the show and sell it at auction.

Either way do your best and have fun - that is the most important part of the deal.

Bez'

At our local beef show, you could show, but never sell a Holstein market steer. Only well finished beef steers sell.

Oh, ok.
I'll ask my 4-H leader about a different breed.

Was just going with holstein because there aren't many beef farms around here, but I'm sure I can find one.

Going to school now :)

Yeah, but from what I hear angus do better at the sale barn.

And if I had 1 for my family, I love the taste of angus steak.

But herefords have better temperment, maybe easier to handle showing.

Latest posts