4-H Show Steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Ribeye":1sdftaho said:
When we get the results back from the carcass show I will let ya''ll know how we did. Because most of you seem to be like me interested in how they do on the rail. For a producer like me that is where it's at anyway not inside a show ring. Although for my stepdaughter's sake I hope she does pretty good in the ring because she doesn't quite understand the big picture yet.(puts me in mind of a lot of grown people that show but she has a excuse she is just 11)

After all are we not raising steers to hang on the rail and not just look pretty.

I am in a very similar situation with my my granddaughter. She is only 10 but it is more important to her that her steers come from her cows and heifers than the store bought club calves. She will never win the beauty contest but she will always do better with the carcass. She really enjoys eating her high choice steer from this spring.

Well, they look like good feeding steers and they'll probably do okay at a county fair. Most county fairs have cattle that look like them. In open shows or bigger shows they would get smoked. It just depends what your goals are. Everyone is starting to bash club calves, but that is a different aspect of showing. Lots of people are making generalizations that aren't true.

We had our show yesterday the weather couldn't have been better since they have to set the show ring up outside. There were about 150 steers entered with about 15 per class with 10 classes. The steer in the top pic came in third in his class he had him in first for a while then dropped him back. The steer in the second came in fourth. They both placed second in the farm fed and raised class which I was proud of since they came out of our own herd. Seems to show that maybe our herd is kinda consistent or that is what I took from it. It has been a long time since I fed any cattle for this show so I learned a lot. Ours didn't have quite enough finish or they would have done much better. The judge really liked short and really fat cattle.

Ribeye":3cwuc8ll said:
We had our show yesterday the weather couldn't have been better since they have to set the show ring up outside. There were about 150 steers entered with about 15 per class with 10 classes. The steer in the top pic came in third in his class he had him in first for a while then dropped him back. The steer in the second came in fourth. They both placed second in the farm fed and raised class which I was proud of since they came out of our own herd. Seems to show that maybe our herd is kinda consistent or that is what I took from it. It has been a long time since I fed any cattle for this show so I learned a lot. Ours didn't have quite enough finish or they would have done much better. The judge really liked short and really fat cattle.

Congratulations! I will still stick with my original prediction that your steers will grade better than those short fat ones that the judge liked.

Just thought I would post these for ya'lls enjoyment hope ya enjoy. By the way it's the calf in the top pic.
100_1117.JPG

Latest posts