4-H, county fair, Judges,

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
After reading a post in another thread I coudnt help but add this. I did not want to highjack the other thread.

I have a daughter who shows in 4-H, and at year before last's show,the judge came up to some of us after the show and said he really liked the young girls steer next to us and he should have won,BUT he was instructed to pick a black steer and any other color was not acceptable. He done what he was told then, after the show he told them not to call him to judge the show again. I know we have a woman judge this year, wonder if she has been instucted the same way?

The steer was a red limosine. He was really good.

Any way my daughter was there and heard the whole thing. That has kind of taken the fun out of it for her as our steers are herefords and she knows they wont win regardless of how good they are. She told me last night we shouldnt even go. But she will want to by july so we keep working with him.

Her favorite thing to take is her broilers, she does really good with them and likes taking care of them.

Sorry just had to tell that little story.

I would be having a serious conversation with the fair board committee. Hell hath no fury like a Hereford man scorned.

Honestly, if the judge didn't want to be invited back, I can't figure out why he didn't have the cojones to just pick the best calf in the ring. Was somebody actually going to stand up and say "You can't pick that one, it's not BLACK!" ?

If it was me, they would have to put a restraining order against me before I would stand for that BS.

It happens all the time. The judge is usually told which one to pick. Even at the big shows. It's called politics

Aaron":263rbzg3 said:
I would be having a serious conversation with the fair board committee. be nice hath no fury like a Hereford man scorned.

Honestly, if the judge didn't want to be invited back, I can't figure out why he didn't have the cojones to just pick the best calf in the ring. Was somebody actually going to stand up and say "You can't pick that one, it's not BLACK!" ?

If it was me, they would have to put a restraining order against me before I would stand for that BS.

I agree completely. Shouldn't have happened in the first place, but I would not show under that judge at another location. If he can be compromised, or instructed, like that, I would want no part of showing under him. I've actually seen a judge instructed to place emphasis in a certain area, and saw the judge tell the official he was going to pick what he thought was best, and if the official didn't like it then official could judge. I loved it. He did a great job, and continues to do an outstanding job.

Jovid":263rbzg3 said:
It happens all the time. The judge is usually told which one to pick. Even at the big shows. It's called politics

Maybe i'm naive. But I still believe that the politics like that aren't the "usual". A lot of the times, sure. But I still think that the majority of the time the judge picks what he/she honestly believes is the best animal. Just my 2cents.

Ryan

Northern Rancher":2bqutst1 said:
Yet how many people let a judges decision influence the genetics they utilize in their programs.

That may be true for you or I, but not likely in the mind of a child participating in 4-H. Promoting politics and agendas should not be tolerated around young kids. For at least some part of their life, it would be nice to let them think the world is fair and just. Picking placements based on colour isn't acceptable with people, why should it be with cattle.

If that's true the fair board should be gone and that judge should never be asked to judge another show.

When I'm involved picking 4H judges I like to get either a feedlot operator or a good commercial rancher to do it. I'd like to see some gunsel tell one of those guys that the winner has to be a certain colour lol.

Ah, the joys of the showqring. Tell me again how great the showring is, I forgot.

It is not the cattle show ring this sort of garbage happens.
It happened to a friends daughter showing a lamb. The judge walked up to her lamb and said for everyone to hear,"I won't even begin to start talking about everything wrong with this lamb." and walked away. This young lady walked this lamb 6 miles a day. It also took top carcass and I paid the most for it in a bidding war against 3 other people. that judge is not coming back this year, which I am glad for. the lambs that took Grand and Reserve Champion didn't even place in the top 3 in carcass. :lol2:

Waiting to see how the vet's daughter does this fall with her steer. As we have both been told, it is easier to judge the fat on them then the muscle.

Wish I could get one of Knersie's up here and show them an awesome steer. But I doubt if it would place in the top 3 knowing how these guys love the black hide.

Aaron":31fvmxhn said:
Northern Rancher":31fvmxhn said:
Yet how many people let a judges decision influence the genetics they utilize in their programs.

That may be true for you or I, but not likely in the mind of a child participating in 4-H. Promoting politics and agendas should not be tolerated around young kids. For at least some part of their life, it would be nice to let them think the world is fair and just. Picking placements based on colour isn't acceptable with people, why should it be with cattle.

I used to think that way, but decided to show my kids how rotten the world is. Misery results from reality falling short of high expectations. My kids are pleasantly surprised whenever life turns out better than I told them it would. Was kind of a bummer for me to find out at around age 30 that the world was corrupt. Including those who preached honesty in our church.

My daughter was talking today about her wedding planned in a year, and I was telling her not to bother because she'll be divorced within a year.

You should see the number of animals an individual can sell if he/she is the judge at Denver. In my opinion they should not announce the judge until the day of the show.

>>My daughter was talking today about her wedding planned in a year, and I was telling her not to bother because she'll be divorced within a year.<<

I can be a curmudgeon sometimes but wow you take the cake. The world ain't all bad! Lighten up, Frances!

Jovid":19c9kb2b said:

Thats definitely not the way it works in the Australian show ring.

I'm with Aaron on this one. If the judge knew it was wrong, why didnt he have the balls to act on his beliefs, and place an animal that wasnt black.

dwinja ... if you honestly said that to your daughter concerning one of the most important happenings in her life, you are an ----. If you didnt say it and you were just making a joke, well, its still in bad taste.

Is this not life though?

I mean come on there are good and bad apples in every bunch! Over the past few years, I've had the opportunity to meet various club calf producers, college livestock judging coaches, and other folks involved with the showring/livestock judging industry. I can honestly say MOST are genuinely good people.

Please don't blank the whole industry as corrupt after a few bad experiences. And certainly don't ridicule someone just because they don't believe in your type of management program.

It happens all the time, I've been told several times by judges that they would have picked my steer/heifer if they weren't red or a Red Angus. It's disappointing, but you just keep going. I show because I like to do it, no matter what the judge says.

It is the show ring, what is in style is King . Also could say the same thing about cattle in general, it is a good animal but it aint black....

What get me is the people that complain about Black angus yet they Have turned there breeds Black....

Latest posts